585,599 active members*
3,538 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

$6k budget for cnc mill, please help!

Hello everyone, i have about a $6k budget to purchase a cnc mill. I have no experience with cnc but learning is half the fun. The reason for the mill is i want to make custom waterblocks similar to these:http://dangerden.com/mall2/more_block3.asp?fmmore=237 out of copper and alluminum. I have looked into some of the smaller mini-mills (taig,sherline) and i do not think they are up to the task, is my $6k budget enough for something a little bigger? Also, converting a manual mill to cnc is not an option for me. Thanks in advance for any help!
    *edit* something like this seems like it would be perfect for me, but i have no idea the quality of the machine http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...842593081&rd=1

I would look elsewhere just because they are too thoughtless only to list specs in Metric and not both.

You should be able to do real well for 6K.

There was a nice little CNC with great specs and a lot of attention to quality but I cannot find it. The link was here on the CncZone just recently. I will keep looking.

EDIT:
    OK, found it
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3842794421

This is not a perfect machine, neither is mine and I paid many times that but it does have a 3year warranty, attention to quality, within your budget and upgrade options.

One I would highly recommend is the Variable speed, especially if it is also controllable through the controller via G-Code and also the "Look Ahead" feature.

Thanks for the reply Ken i appreciate it! That mill looks perfect for what i would be using it for, i sent the seller some questions as the add was a little vague on some of the details.

You can find cnc knee mills for around that price or less. Check out mine on my website. This was one I found and have been happy ever since.
    www.hobbymachine.net

both machines look real nice dont forget the cost of shipping as will be 400-1k my guess also dont forget tooling costs collets endmills holddowns ect. says around 500 get you going strong.

I just bought a late 1980s Tree Journeyman 325 with DynaPath Delta 20 control for $5K, so $6 should give you a moderate number of choices in a used industrial machine.

cheers
    Michael