584,837 active members*
5,674 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Student Versions of CAD and CAM Software

Student Versions of CAD and CAM Software

I've been using Rhino 3.0 in the demo version for the past week, and have about two saves left in the package before I have to register or lose it. I've been impressed, and probably enough to spring the 200$ loose for the student version.

The Solidworks student version is about 200$ as well.

Either of these two, to my understanding, will be an adequate CAD package.

I've been demoing both VisualMill 4.0, and DesKam for CAM packages. Visual seems to be VERY capable and very intuitive. I especially like the summary window with each of the milling actions on the left side of the screen. Since it won't let you process anything, I don't know what it puts out, and can't get a feel for ease of use.

Deskam seems easy to use, but it is cumbersome to do a bunch of different milling operations. If all I wanted to do was one operation (say "pocket", or "drill") it works well, but when I want to do more than one (cut a pocket, then drill holes) it tends to lose an operation. The easy way around this is to save multiple programs full of G-Code, and run them sequentially, or edit them manually. Still a pain in the butt.

Now for the questions.

I've been using Rhino, and find it very easy for me to use. For $200 I can buy it. I still need a cam package...

Visual Mill 4.0 Basic is offered with Rhino for 1000... Seeing as how I'm a student, that is way out of my league... I can spend at most $500 on software at this point.

Do any of the programs out there offer a complete student Cad/Cam package (Mastercam or OneCNC?) with both design and Cam?

Does anyone make a capable Cam package (like Visual Mill 4.0) at a student rate?

I spent my working money on a Taig Mill with the MicroProto controller. For what I want to do, it works quite well, and is very easy to use from Dos. I just need capable design and Cam package that I can afford.

Thanks for any help.

BobCad offers a student rate, but their current rate is lower than the student rate for V18? Any users? Any comments?

Student Versions of CAD and CAM Software

One thing to consider with the Rhino student version is.... Rhino student version is identical to the full version. There are no restrictions or limitations put on. Rhino realizes that student are short of cash. If they buy the software while young they will continue to use it when they are old. Smart strategy. That is how I bought my Rhino.

Bill

student versions

The only problem with student versions is typically you must have college ID to purchase!

Like Jouneyed but ptc just came out with SE for anyone check it out $299 for anyone

mace
    http://www.journeyed.com/cgi-bin/sgi...REQC=3&UREQD=4

also many books for learning in depth apps.

also with purchase lifetime web support

We offer were I teach the Apprentice program for Mastercam that is a full working copy for 9 months then after that you get to keep a full design side of the software but loose the Cam side.

But you must be a student currently enrolled in a class.
    I create a letter for the student stating that they are enrolled in my class.

But I do find it to be a good way to get seat time.
    Seat time will make you or break you in most cases.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

But I do find it to be a good way to get seat time.
    Seat time will make you or break you in most cases.
    +1 !

Experience and familiarity is ALL that matters in this trade.

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Student Prices for CAD-CAM

Jcadwell,
    We do offer student discounts on BobCAD-CAM software. Not a problem. Just email me or call me directly at 877-262-2231 x12. We can go over it then. It is important to us that students can access CAD-CAM systems without paying a lot of money. It's that simple.
    Chris
    CNC Dude

Absolutley go with the Solidworks...this will allow alot of options in the future should your job situation change from machining to design....I run Camworks, and it uses Solidworks...if I go to another job, I can tout the Solidworks experience, and it is more wideley accepted..
    Visit my webpage www.cdignition.com

Be careful of bobcad. I have currenlty purchased 2 versions. Neither one have worked correctly. Tech is very slow to call back if at all and sometimes cant resolve issue. They have cost me thousands in down time. Just my opinion