584,830 active members*
5,737 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > TurboCAD CAM: where's the EASY button?

TurboCAD CAM: where's the EASY button?

Hi All,

I've got some questions for anyone out there that has experience with TurboCAD with the CAM plugin. I have TurboCad v15.1 with the CAM plugin v3.5. I have a thermwood M45 router thats going to hit the shop floor in a month.

My question:

Lets say that I have created a part in turbocad that is a table top with various pockets, holes, and contoured edges. Is there a means in the software for me to just specify the tools that I have available and just press a button that generates the milling procedures and paths automatically based on those tools, or do I have to manually specify the procedures?

If I'm stuck with manually specifying the procedures then what software do you guys recommend that is the most painless for transitioning from a turbocad drawing to g-code that can be interpreted by the CNC router? I may be stuck with TurboCAD CAM for awhile if the cost is too steep for other options.

I apologize if I sound frustrated, I was just surprised at the complexity of steps involved in producing the g-code when I've drawn the part already! If I already have a fully completed part sitting on my screen, then shouldn't the CAM software do the rest? I can understand the necessity to specify the size of the stock and the origins but the rest I would like to be handled by a CAM package.

Thanks all in advance for any input you may have. If this is something that I just have to live with then let me know!

Nate

Ahh, that's where the "machinist" comes in. Unless it's fairly simple geometry which can be hand coded, you'll still have to select the cutting strategy (pocket milling, profiling etc),then select the contour(s), select the tools, speeds and feeds. CAD/CAM has still not evolved to the point of where you just draw it and click the G code button. There are just too many variables/nuances involved in deciding how to manufacture the part.
    Take 10 machinists, and give them the same tools, and each one will manufacture the part a little differently. Some will make it fast, but not accurate, and some will take longer and produce a more accurate part. Ther is no one "right way".
    So, check out some of the free demos for some CAM software, and run them through their paces (try before you buy). If you are reasonably mechanically inclined, you'll pick up the process pretty quickly ( 2D stuff in less than 40 hrs with some prior CAD skills).

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Nate0918 View Post

Lets say that I have created a part in turbocad that is a table top with various pockets, holes, and contoured edges. Is there a means in the software for me to just specify the tools that I have available and just press a button that generates the milling procedures and paths automatically based on those tools,
    Nope.

Just my opinion, but with a serious router like that, you probable should be using a software package better suited to it. But it'll cost you a LOT more than TurboCADCAM. Depending on the type of work you do, there are a lot of packages available specific to the woodworking industry that work well with the large commercial machines. They may cost several thousand dollars, but they're more than worth it when you consider the increase in productivity.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)