585,942 active members*
3,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Nested parts for Joes2006-R2

As promised in the "layout" thread, I nested the parts for the Joes2006 router. Included are nests for 3/4" and 1/2" MDF. I've also included a printout of the parts on each sheet and area used.

I already found that I made a mistake and cut the Z Carriage Sides (L&R) from the 3/4 material.

Please let me know if you find any more errors.

I still have to nest the HDPE components and torsion skins.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I usually leave 3.4" between parts, I use a 1/4" bit for everything so a pass around parts are 1/4" each which leaves a 1/4" waste material between parts, and with MDF there will be dust between the parts and waste material which usually holds the parts in place without tabs.

Joe

This is great, I am wondering if it is possible to do this whole project from 1/4 hrpo, Also where would I find a list of other parts needed to make this machine.

Where would I get the plans or information to get depths of cuts and I noticed several missing holes on the two .770 holes on the carriage bottom.

Never mind I just found out they are all over this site in different locations, I didn't realize you could actually purchase this as a kit.

Quote Originally Posted by joecnc2006 View Post
    I usually leave 3.4" between parts, I use a 1/4" bit for everything so a pass around parts are 1/4" each which leaves a 1/4" waste material between parts, and with MDF there will be dust between the parts and waste material which usually holds the parts in place without tabs.

Joe
    Thanks, Joe. I'll redo the nest and resubmit it.
    I also think my counts are off on the parts. I only included 6 x-axis pipe supports. There should be 8.
    Do you have a parts list somewhere? Also, can you confirm that the top and bottom plate for the Z-Carriage are the only items cut from 3/4 thick MDF?

OK.. So, here are the latest nests for the 1/2" thick MDF. I've done two versions. One using full 4'x8' sheets. The other using 2'x4' sheets. The 2x4 sheets can be run in Joe's CNC router. I've also included the list of nested parts.

I used Joe's suggestion of a minimum 3/4" spacing between parts. I also set an outside collar of 1/2" on each sheet.

Also, I colored non-thru holes in blue. Please refer to Joe's model files (or other posts) for proper depths.

I hope this helps some of you interested in making this router.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Are the nesting designs made for cnc cutting? All the follow up posts seem to point in that direction. Maybe it is a mute question but, if one has a cnc router, why would you cut this model unless you have one of those HobbyCNC mini rigs and need to upgrade. If not, then you have a steel rig and by having one then there should not be any questions of how you should cut your material for best possible outcome.

If you have made one of Joe's why would you make a second one. You get all the education and then you sell it in order to make a steel model (not that 80/20). Not that I would sell my Joe, never, it'll always be my lucky pole.

Someone please educate me. Why would you cut Joe on Joe's unless you are selling it and that's Joe's stay free mini pad.

I have nested with computer aid and re-nested by hand; and guess which one won. Common science, a pair of glasses, and a jig saw. Go nest all day long on a screen and I'll be tighter and faster with a finished product any time. There is a certain logic in material layout that automated systems still can not do. It seems to me that automated nesting is for people with two left hands or no hands, the same that think that what you see on a screen must be right No disrespect to all that think that way but if you want to be an architect, the first think you should do is know your materials before your designs.

Alot of guys on here started with a JRGO model, and then cut Joes on it. Or, maybe they just want a second Joes running.

Quote Originally Posted by ZigMan View Post
    automated nesting is for people with two left hands or no hands,
    Zigzag,
    It's ironic, don't you think, that in what was (I suppose) your next sentence you wrote, "No disrespect"
    Were you really questioning what the nest was for? Or, were you just interested in telling everyone how creative you can be without a computer? I love it when people make comments and then follow it with "No offense, but".

It just so happens that I had a few reasons for creating a nest for others here at CNCZ. Most were geared toward helping others. Which IS the purpose of this site, right?

1: To help others here that have another machine (such as a JRGO or others) and like Joe's design better than whatever they're using. Let's face it, every DIY router is a stepping stone to something better (or bigger).
    2: To help people who want to build Joe's machine, but live too far to afford the shipping of a kit (If Joe is still cuttng them). These people would pay a premium to have a local shop program this for them. Obviously, cost savings is ONE of many reasons why someone would take on a project like JoesCNC.
    3: Like many others here at CNCZ, I have access to a CNC router. I don't own one myself. But, I like Joe's design and have a great interest in CNC and woodworking. Also, many don't have access to nesting software. In some cases, despite ZigZag's opinion, software CAN save time and material. Because of the size of the parts on this project and the spacing joe recommended, the benefits are not clear here. Trust me, I normally use this for nesting small PCD material at work. It saves time and material.

Zigzag,
    No disrespect, but...
    Everyone else that can use these,
    Enjoy.

Thanks for sharing man

Awesome....thank you NIL8r.

Good grief. Stay Classy, Zigman, er, I mean ZigZag.

NIL8r, thanks for putting that together for us. I am pretty new to CNC and have never tried to nest parts yet, but I'll be learning soon! I'm building 2x4 version of the Joe hybrid, but I would have killed to get my hands on G-code like this 8 months ago! I would have found SOMEONE with a CNC machine!

Cheers, Jim