584,846 active members*
4,502 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Post Processor for Prototrak

Post Processor for Prototrak

Does anybody have a post for an mx3 Prototrak retrofit?, can't seem to get anything to work.

Thanks,
    Scott

I think I can help. I got these:

M-MX3.PPR
    M_MX3E.PPR
    M_MX3EDF.PPR
    M_MX3EZF.PPR
    M_MX3PRO.PPR

Are any of them any good for you? is so PM me please and I'll E-Mail them.

I'm running a Protrak A.G.E 2 with an MX2 Post so I dun know if the MX3 Posts is the same directory will work, but I think they should?

You say that you "cant seem to get anything to work". When you go to Post Process how far does it get? Any error messages? On mine it sticks the Post Processed file in the C:\MYDRAWINGS folder, I need to rename the file numericaly (like 12345.CNC) for the Protrak to recognise it when I transfer it to the Mill- it won't recognise alpha characters, only numbers as a file name.

Gimme a shout if you want the files!
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

I'm not sure which one might work but I'll give all of them a try if you don't mind. I will pm you my email address.

I haven't had any luck getting tool paths to the mill, if I create a program with Prototrak, I can save it my PC but gets corrupted if I have more than a few events programmed.

Tony from Vectric sent me a couple of posts but none were reccognized by Prototrac, if I look at the text that they each create, I get

Prototrak example

GXXX
    G45
    Gdfrr
    and so on

Vectric post example

G45 G67 G32 G98 and so on

Thanks,
    Scott

E-Mail sent

[edit]Argh! I just noticed that your software isn't the same as mine. I've sent the files anyway since I said I would. If anyone else has the correct post processor can they please send it to him.

Sorry for the hassle man, genuine mistake.[/edit]
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Hi Scott,

I have requested more information from ProTRAK and will let you know what they say.

Tony

Hello Scott,

I spoke to XYZ Machine Tool who are the manufacturer of the Protrak controller (I think) and they said you should be able to import GCode toolpath files. This is an Advanced Feature - cost option for users outside the UK - but they thought it was a standard feature for users in the US.

You should be able to check on the machine by doing the following,

Inside the program selecting > In / Out > List Supported Types and there should be a *.GCD option (this is the file type saved from the Vectric software)

I hope this helps,

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mac View Post
    Hello Scott,

I spoke to XYZ Machine Tool who are the manufacturer of the Protrak controller (I think) and they said you should be able to import GCode toolpath files. This is an Advanced Feature - cost option for users outside the UK - but they thought it was a standard feature for users in the US.

You should be able to check on the machine by doing the following,

Inside the program selecting > In / Out > List Supported Types and there should be a *.GCD option (this is the file type saved from the Vectric software)

I hope this helps,

Tony
    Southwestern Industries are the guys that make Prototrak. I will look to see if it will take a .GCD, I think it will only take an .mx3 or .cam though.

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    E-Mail sent

[edit]Argh! I just noticed that your software isn't the same as mine. I've sent the files anyway since I said I would. If anyone else has the correct post processor can they please send it to him.

Sorry for the hassle man, genuine mistake.[/edit]

I got the files, I'll give them a try anyway, maybe they will work. I really appreciate you trying.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by NJC View Post
    Southwestern Industries are the guys that make Prototrak. I will look to see if it will take a .GCD, I think it will only take an .mx3 or .cam though.
    I talked to the guys at Southwestern Industries and they said yes the controller will open GCode files - and also told me to contact the guys in the UK for confirmation.

The GCode toolpaths can be saved as either .GCD or .CAM files these are simply file extensions to the name and the content is the same.

Tony

mx2 files

I'm in the same boat as the rest of you. I can't get any files to open even the ones that were on the floppy that came in the machine. It is a Chevalier FM32 with a Proto-Trak M2 system. I'm afraid I've tried so many different programs and extensions that nothing will work. I downloaded a trial of Part Master and I did find the MX2 extension and saved a file but the darned thing wouldn't open. Does anyone have the procedure from start to finish to run a DXF file through the post processor?
    Thanks in advence, I hope,
    Jim
    PS I also bought the full version of CUT2D and it works slick. Too bad I can't use it!

A couple prerequisites I noticed on our machine: You need to have a "Programs" folder on your USB, from where the programs to be read need to be loaded. File names as mentioned need to be numeric only, I use the file extension .CAM (ex: 1234.CAM). On ours I use the Service Code "341" to copy the files from USB to the controller.
    Hope this is helpful?
    Jazzed