585,996 active members*
4,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Which CNC Router plans would you recommend(HobbyCNC, Rockcliff, or JGRO?)?
Page 1 of 2 12

Question Which CNC Router plans would you recommend(HobbyCNC, Rockcliff, or JGRO?)?

I'm a relative newbie to the world of CNC, although I have been researching it online for many months, I just have to decide on a machine.

I know the basics of CNC (CNC=computer numerical controlled ), the different kinds of CNC (plasma, water cut, router, etc...).

So, like I said, its come down to choosing a machine. Now I know that when choosing a machine, its probably best to lay out what you want it to do:

I need a machine that can cut:

Foam
    Wood (various types, but probably MDF as a main one)
    even plastic, all the way up to ABS/polycarbonate

Is that too much to ask from one type of machine?

Now for the machine:

I'm looking at getting some plans; either HobbyCNC, RockcliffCNC, or some plans from this website, such as the JGRO machine.

For controller software I'm hoping EMC2 will meet most of my needs.

I hope to use this machine for cutting EPP foam and making R/C aircraft as well as making molds for vacuum forming with it eventually.

Help much appreciated,

LC

EDIT: Oh, and if use EMC2 as the controller software, how much do you think this project will cost? Can it be built for <$1k?

Welcome to the forum LC. I think that the capabilities that you want your machine to have are well within the performance parameters for most of the plans mentioned. The only thing I will point out is that you will only get a couple inches of Z height out one of these machines, which could be an issue if you want to cut tall blocks of foam.

The JRGO plans are really good. It does, in my opinion, require more fabrication time than others available. I have not used the hobbycnc or rockcliff plans, but I am sure others can comment. I do however have the Solsylva plans so I can comment on them. I think that you would do very well with the plans. They are simple and very well thought out. You can purchase almost all the materials at a big orange or blue store. The plans take you through every step and are meant for first timers. The book you get has 4 machines any of which will meet some portion of your needs. The smallest one can be built for under $100 and coupled with a hobbycnc controller will run you under $400. Definitely worth checking out...

EMC2 will meet your needs for the controller very well. It is very powerful and can control much more complicated machines than the one you are looking it building. However, the controller is only 1/3 of the picture with software. You need to think about the CAD and CAM packages you want. I would go with the cheapest you can find at this point. I think that CamBam is still free and that it can import from AI and other drawing programs, so that might be the way to go.

If you find you like the hobby, then I would recommend stepping up to better software. For CAM, I would recommend Vectric's different software packages. Cut2d will give you the ability to machine wing ribs and other 2.5d bracket structures. If you want to do a 3d part, Cut3d is also very good. For Cad, take your pick...I tend to use SolidWorks and AutoCad, but those are way too pricey for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by solodex2151 View Post
    Welcome to the forum LC. I think that the capabilities that you want your machine to have are well within the performance parameters for most of the plans mentioned. The only thing I will point out is that you will only get a couple inches of Z height out one of these machines, which could be an issue if you want to cut tall blocks of foam.
    Well then I'm guessing I could just get smaller slices instead of blocks, or I'd have to build a hot wire cutter. Blimy.

The JRGO plans are really good. It does, in my opinion, require more fabrication time than others available. I have not used the hobbycnc or rockcliff plans, but I am sure others can comment. I do however have the Solsylva plans so I can comment on them. I think that you would do very well with the plans. They are simple and very well thought out. You can purchase almost all the materials at a big orange or blue store. The plans take you through every step and are meant for first timers. The book you get has 4 machines any of which will meet some portion of your needs. The smallest one can be built for under $100 and coupled with a hobbycnc controller will run you under $400. Definitely worth checking out...
    Hmm, haven't yet heard of Solsyva. I'll check it out. Thanks. When you say it can be built for $400, is that the smallest machine you referred to? Plus $300 for the electronics?

EMC2 will meet your needs for the controller very well. It is very powerful and can control much more complicated machines than the one you are looking it building. However, the controller is only 1/3 of the picture with software. You need to think about the CAD and CAM packages you want. I would go with the cheapest you can find at this point. I think that CamBam is still free and that it can import from AI and other drawing programs, so that might be the way to go.
    Oh right, forgot to mention that in my OP. Yes, I am aware of these other apps.

What about Rhino or Modo for CAD? And if I go with Rhino, I'll probably go with Rhino's CAM plugin.

SolidWorks and the like are way out of my budget right now.

If you find you like the hobby, then I would recommend stepping up to better software. For CAM, I would recommend Vectric's different software packages. Cut2d will give you the ability to machine wing ribs and other 2.5d bracket structures. If you want to do a 3d part, Cut3d is also very good. For Cad, take your pick...I tend to use SolidWorks and AutoCad, but those are way too pricey for most people.
    Yup, definitely too pricey for a mere hobby. I have toyed with the idea of going into the field, as I still don't know what I want to do for a career.

Thanks for your post! I was beginning to think I would never get a response. Guess maybe this forum isn't travelled a whole lot.

Oh, in the op I originally mentioned that I have never built anything with my hands, so I'm guessing I should find a woodworking class before I begin this project right?

Thanks

LC

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingCheese View Post
    Hmm, haven't yet heard of Solsyva. I'll check it out. Thanks. When you say it can be built for $400, is that the smallest machine you referred to? Plus $300 for the electronics?
    That is $400 including the HobbyCNC package... Really cheap. Check the plans out here.

What about Rhino or Modo for CAD? And if I go with Rhino, I'll probably go with Rhino's CAM plugin.
    I have heard good things about Rhino from a buddy that uses it here at work. Not sure how steep the learning curve is but I think it might suite you well. On the other hand, Cut2d is only $149 and should work great with Illustrator or Autocad.

Thanks for your post! I was beginning to think I would never get a response. Guess maybe this forum isn't travelled a whole lot.
    It is traveled pretty well. The weekends are normally dead and most of the posts come in the evenings. Really depends on the time of year too.

Oh, in the op I originally mentioned that I have never built anything with my hands, so I'm guessing I should find a woodworking class before I begin this project right?
    I don't think that it is necessary Woodworking is easy enough and if you have any questions, you can ping people here or PM me. However, I will go on a short triad about tools. If you get the Solsylva plans or build the JRGO, I recommend that you start acquiring good tools for the project. Once you build this CNC, you will be building much more, so they will pay for themselves.

I am a firm believer in investing in good quality tools. They will make your experience so much easier. Sure, you can cut your 2x4's for the small machine with a Harbor Frieght hand saw, but a circular saw w/ guide or miter saw is much better. Acquire tools as you projects dictate. If you are just going to use it one, it might be better to get a HF brand...

That said, if you know nothing, at least you don't have bad habits yet. Learn what tools are used for what tasks, and avoid doing things like using a screwdriver as a chisel or paint stirrer...Your tools will last longer and you'll be less likely to suffer a stupid injury. And on that point, safety is always first.

Sound proofing?

I'm hoping I can make a machine that isn't too huge yet still fulfills my requirements.

There's also the problem of sound; now I know these things can take a while and that means the annoying whine of the router for maybe an hour or more.

I don't have a workshop unfortunately and I don't want to bother the neighbors.

I've thought about maybe putting the machine in some kind of isolation chamber.

Has anyone tried this? Is this feasible?

I'm hoping I can make a machine that isn't too huge yet still fulfills my requirements.

There's also the problem of sound; now I know these things can take a while and that means the annoying whine of the router for maybe an hour or more.

I don't have a workshop unfortunately and I don't want to bother the neighbors.

I've thought about maybe putting the machine in some kind of isolation chamber.

Has anyone tried this? Is this feasible?
    Most people set up an enclosed area to contain the dust rather than for the sound. Are you in an apartment? If you are, then you have more of an issue. If you have a house, you should be fine. I was the miter saw and table saw all last night in the garage and had music going. You could hardly hear it outside at all.

Nate L.

Is it not better to go for Joes2006 built ..having free plans and lot of information on CNCZONE...

Most people set up an enclosed area to contain the dust rather than for the sound. Are you in an apartment? If you are, then you have more of an issue. If you have a house, you should be fine. I was the miter saw and table saw all last night in the garage and had music going. You could hardly hear it outside at all.

Nate L.
    Nope, house. I was also thinking about using the enclosure to capture sawdust as well. It would be nice to sound proof it as well, I don't think the neighbors would appreciate blaring music.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid View Post
    Is it not better to go for Joes2006 built ..having free plans and lot of information on CNCZONE...
    Well maybe, but I might want to sell what I make with the machine, and the free ones here usually have some prohibition against that.

Nope, house. I was also thinking about using the enclosure to capture sawdust as well. It would be nice to sound proof it as well, I don't think the neighbors would appreciate blaring music.
    If you are doing many parts, get a good dust collection system. Fine wood dust is way more of a health problem than most people realize. You should check out the videos Joe posted on You Tube for his enclosure/dust collection system for the 4x4. Really good work, though I think the 4" hose on the DC is too small.

Well maybe, but I might want to sell what I make with the machine, and the free ones here usually have some prohibition against that.
    Joe's 2006 model doesn't have that restriction. If it did, Joe himself would have broken it because of selling the kits. The 2006 is an improvement over the JRGO machine. Really well documented with lots of support.

Nate L.

Joe's 2006 doesn't have that restriction. If it did, Joe himself would have broken it because of selling the kits. The 2006 is an improvement over the JRGO machine. Really well documented with lots of support.

Nate L.
    Oh, cool. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks,

LC

EDIT: Is this what you're talking about? Looks like it does have a restriction...this is confusing.

Oh, I guess that's just talking about the machine itself, not what you build with it?

I forgot to mention, what about Alibre for CAD? What's the general opinion (if any) about Alibre here?

Also I was wondering if I could repost this as a poll? I just noticed I can't edit anymore...

Another good one is Lion Claws design thats what got joe started ...and now look at Joe he cant stop building machines..

That only applies to the plans. So, you cannot download the plans and start producing 2006 models from sale w/o Joe's permission.

Never heard of Alibre. I like SolidWorks for 3d and AI for 2d.

Nate L.

That only applies to the plans. So, you cannot download the plans and start producing 2006 s from sale w/o Joe's permission.
    I see now. Excellent.

Never heard of Alibre. I like SolidWorks for 3d and AI for 2d.

Nate L.
    Bummer. Well, like I said, SolidWorks is way out of my price range.

What about Silo?

Bummer. Well, like I said, SolidWorks is way out of my price range.

What about Silo?
    You should take a hard look whether or not you need 3d capability right off the bat. I know you wanted to do vacuum fixtures in 3d, but said maybe in the future. So, your main goal right now is RC plane parts? Aren't most of those 2.5d? If so, I would strongly consider getting a good 2D drawing program like Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator, or AutoCad and getting Cut2D from Vectric for the CAM. Should be too expensive, and you can always get Cut3D and a 3D Cad program later on if you need it.

I took a look at Silo. Never heard of it until today but it will export in the formats you need. When I played around in it, I got the sense that it was mainly built for creating 3D graphics models for games. I think it will work though.

Nate L.

Oh, cool. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks,

LC

EDIT: Is this what you're talking about? Looks like it does have a restriction...this is confusing.

Oh, I guess that's just talking about the machine itself, not what you build with it?
    Correct you can use the drawings to build a machine for your self, but not to produce the machine or the machine parts for sale. What you make with the machine you can sell its your creation, i.e. wood working projects, signs etc.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joecnc2006 View Post
    Correct you can use the drawings to build a machine for your self, but not to produce the machine or the machine parts for sale. What you make with the machine you can sell its your creation, i.e. wood working projects, signs etc.

Joe
    Thanks for clearing that up Joe!

About how much do you think it costs to make your design? If I go with EMC2? I'm guessing that's probably been answered somewhere already...

Thanks

LC

About how much do you think it costs to make your design?
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33365
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I forgot to mention, what about Alibre for CAD? What's the general opinion (if any) about Alibre here?
    I'd highly recommend the free version of Alibre. Once you start using it, you'll periodically get offers for half off the full version. But as someone else mentioned, you may find that it's much quicker for most parts to just do a 2D drawing of them.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I'd highly recommend the free version of Alibre. Once you start using it, you'll periodically get offers for half off the full version. But as someone else mentioned, you may find that it's much quicker for most parts to just do a 2D drawing of them.
    Cool. I already have it.

Page 1 of 2 12