585,991 active members*
5,740 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Knee Vertical Mills > Top Tech CNC Milling Machine from penn tool

Top Tech CNC Milling Machine from penn tool

Has anyone used, or had any expierence with this machine? I am wondering how this compares to the BobCad Barracuda cnc mill? The price is the same, and you can get it without controls if you want to use your own. I also can not find any info on what company does the retrofit.

Here is a link to it....

Top Tech CNC Mill

Looks like a cool hobby machine....but 5" of z will run out quick. No enclosure means coolant all over, 3k of rpm isn't much, without quick change tooling you'll be limited to one tool per program. Some big drawbacks with that machine.

I don't mean to stomp all over your idea but your money, especially 12k is probably better spent other places.

For that much coin you can get a full size used VMC in working condition/ great condition if you look around.

If you don't have the room then I'd look at converting a Bridgeport or clone, more rigid, more rpm, power the knee and your z travel limitation is fixed.

I converted a Rong Fu, and a Taig wasted a lot of money, it was a good learn, but if I had to do it over again I would not go the bench top CNC route.

performancemachinetools.com ad is listed in CNC west mag, I'm just flipping through it now. I see three B-ports listed all with 3 axis controls, good condition all less than $10k, they range from 1984 to 1994 for year of manufacture. The 88 is listed as "very clean", the others are listed "good" condition. There is also a Fadal VMC 40 1986 for 13k, good condition, etc. etc.

Just something to consider.

welp, i just signed to purchase a 1996 Dyna Mechtronics EM3116 cnc knee mill for $6200, supposed to be in good mechanical condition. It has the manual pulse generator option, <handwheel>. Any thoughts as to this being a good deal?

Dyna Mechtronics

I have heard a few hairy stories about chinese machines, evidentally the Korean made ones have a better reputation.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Yee ha. That thing looks shaweet.

Don't know a thing about it but I'll tell you I'd guess it's way more capable than the bench mill above. Looks like a good choice to me. Be sure an post some pics up and let us know how it's going.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man
    I have heard a few hairy stories about chinese machines, evidentally the Korean made ones have a better reputation.
    Al
    How can one tell if the mill is of chinese origin?

I will post some pics when it arrives. It is going to be a tight squeeze, the mill is 90" high, my garage ceiling is 100".

I guess I might as well let the cat out of the bag as to why I am buying a cnc Mill, and show some pics of the cnc router I am building. I can not complete the router without one.
    It has THK KR46 actuators on Y, and a THK GL15B actuator on X axis, Z axis is incomplete, but will use Bayside cross roller bearings. Ive got everything wired up and ready to go, and have all the components. I just need to finish the Z axis. I can get 300 ipm without lost steps on the XY, but that is without a router or anything attached. I start loosing steps at about 350-400 ipm. Travel is 21" on Y, 39" on X. Z will be about 7". The controller has 4 Applied Motion Products stepper drives, an Axxus LPT interface card, Opto22 solid state relay and a Power One power supply. Everything is mounted to a 2" thick butcher block table from MSC. I plan to drill a large hole pattern with threaded inserts pressed into the holes from the underside for clamping material down.

The aluminum plates in the photos are part of the Z axis column.

Top Tech are good machines made in China. They are direct copies of the Rong Fu RF-45. We have had good luck selling them and customers seem very happy. They are in stock now for $1,395.00 at http://www.lighttoolsupply.com

Won't a late 80s vintage Bridgeport have a BOSS controller? Paper tape too? Seems unwieldy in this day and age.