584,808 active members*
5,178 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Need an encoder for my C3 lathe spindle.

Need an encoder for my C3 lathe spindle.

Hi All,

I am in the process of CNC'ing my C3 lathe and am looking for an encoder to sync my leadscrew with the spindle. I am hoping to use either Turbocnc or Mach for threading. Can anyone recommend what type of encoder to use?

I am currently looking at the index pulse card from CNC4PC.com. Will this be sufficient? What is a VFD with encoder? Is it the same as the index pulse card? Thanks in advance.

Alex

I'm using the C3 from CNC4PC and it seems to work so far. Still in the set up phase and haven't done anything but test pieces so far. FInding the right debounce setting was the hardest part.

David

Hi David,

Glad to hear you are using the C3 as well from CNC4PC. What do you mean by 'debounce'? I know one thing I am going to have trouble with once my cnc is set up is that the thread pitch may not be what I intended it to be. From reading some of the threads here, alot of people testing their cnc lathe finds this is the problem.

Is that what you mean by debounce. If it it, hope you sort yours out and do post the results. Thanks.

Alex

Alex,
    debounce is a setting in Mach 3. It is the number of pulses that a switch has to be stable for Mach to recognize it. It took several tries changing the debounce setting by orders of magnatude to start dialing in the input from the C3 to get a stable RPM indication. See page 8-4 of the Mach 3 Turn manual for details.

For threading, you will need to be sure your G code indicates travel per rev so the Z movement is tied to the spindle rotation rather than inches per min.

Also be sure that you calibrate your motor pulses per inch on each axis lead screw. There is a good section on how to do that in the set up guide. On my machine, using the stepper pulley reduction got me close, but over a 4" travel, it was out by about .015. Trial and error got it down to less than .001.

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the very helpful info. Will go through the mach 3 manual.

Alex