585,996 active members*
5,070 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Buying First Lathe

Ok, normally I would keep on researching, but I have been doing that for like 3 days nonstop. I want to buy a mini lathe for a first lathe and I'm trying to find a good cheap one. Many have caught my eye. Now I keep hearing problems. So I'm gonna ask, currently, which lathes can i buy for like $600 dollars that are ready to use straight out of the box that could thread. I keep hearing that the 7x series need work and stuff. So for that price is the only work out of the box lathe the Micro-mark 7x14.

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82710

Also is this mechanical threading or is there a digital programed threading. I also do know that threading is hard. I just want that feature when i'm good enough to be able to use it becasue what I intend to make will require threads.

Thanks.

Also are Sherlines good or not for there price becasue my options really are a sherline, a 7x12, and the 7x14. And if the 7x12 isn't that bad do i just have to do what is on mini-lathe.com to get it to work.

mainly it depends on what you want to do with the machine. You mention threading, do you have experience with this? Or is it something you want to learn? I know you answered that question, but my point is this, even out of the box in CAPABLE hands the 7x series lathes can do amazing things. Just like anything else, you have to work within the limits of the machine.

I have a wholesale tool 7x10 and I love it, but then again, I dont need it for much, Just chewing wax slabs I make and drilling. There is alot of info on the sight you mentioned to make the lathe better...... but not all of it is needed. Those articles are from experienced people who wanted more from the little machine.

So I guess your main decision is based on your skill. Do you require a more expensive machine? Or do you want something cheaper to learn on as a stepping stone?

Hi Phantom. Welcome to the Zone!

The lathes you mention are great if you want a table top machine that can be easily moved. The Sherline is best for jewelry sized work. The 7 X 10 (Actually 7 x 8) is cheaper and can do larger work. The Micro Mark has some nice features, but is still a lightweight lathe.

Weight is important because the heavier the machine, the more rigid it is and the better you can cut hard metals.

The HF 8 x 12 (actually 8 x 14) is the most bang for the mini lathe buck and is almost three times as heavy. This machine will be a lot more rigid than the others and should do more rugged work. At 254 pounds though, it is not so easy to move around.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44859

CR.

Now if you can support the weight, may need to produce larger parts, or plan to CNC convert it, then the Grizzly 10 x 22 is THE most lathe bang for just a few more bucks:

http://grizzly.com/products/10-x-22-...al-Lathe/G0602

CR.

Now, I'm not going to go CNC if ever for awhile. Also since this is gonna be my first lathe, which one requires no work to make it run, other than removing that red grease, good for a beginner or is it like fixitt said, for more out of the machine. Thanks. Also the machine says like 18 threads between 13 TPI and like 52TPI. Can the machine only do 18 different threads or all threads between those distances.

The Grizzly G0602 10x22 is "more" money, but worth the extra $$. If you think you will just need a small lathe for occasional hobby work, the 7x10 lathes are workable, but if you think you'll be using the lathe a good bit, then I'd go with the 10x22. It's a very simple lathe ready to use out of the box. In the specs for lathes, they give you the TPI (threads per inch) range. Example the Grizzly has gears for 33 different TPI's ranging from 8 tpi to 72 tpi and 26 different metric threads.

it all boils down to what you can afford. Do not forgot the cost of tooling and material. You will end up paying more for tooling then you paid for the lathe. maybe not all at once, but it will happen. If you plan on using insert type of tooling then you can get away without having a good grinding wheel. But having a descent grinder on hand and blank tools helps when you need a special form. WD40 or other type of coolant. Shop vac money tends to fly right out the window!!!!!! So shop for the lathe and tooling........... one without the other is a heavy paper weight.

ohh dont let me forget the measuring tools, digital calipers, inside mics, mics.............

Yeah I knew about the tooling. I was just asking for the price of the lathe itself. Thanks for the replies.

I've got a Speedway (the original Homier 7x12), a HF 8x12 and a HF 12x36. Hands down, the 12x36 is my favorite do-all lathe. I bought the 8x12 to do a CNC conversion, but I have used it manually a couple of times and it does seem to blow the 7x12 out of the water. It's just more rigid. And I haven't even cleaned the red goo off. There is much less goo on it than the 7x12 had. I would not even consider a 7x10. It's hard enough to get room to work with the 7x12 and the bed really is 4 inches longer.

I also bought a faceplate, steady rest and follower rest for the 7x12. And I've never actually used any of them. But then, I just play around with my toys as I feel like it. Just be aware that all the money you spend on accessories for these tiny tools will have to be spent again when the tool-lust results in bigger and bigger tools... I also have 5 various sized mills now too. Fortunately, my tool lust is currently sated.

phantom, I'm sure you probably bought a lathe by now. But if not, I have three lathes right now, My most recent lathe which I bought last week, is the Microlux. I didn't think that I would ever need a mini lathe. I bought it because I have a CNC milling machine, and when you set a mini lathe on your CNC mill you can perform CNC lathe operations. (check out www.youtube.com, and type into the search "duality lathe") I have this same setup but different machines. The Microlux I have to say is a very nice mini lathe. I was very impressed with MOST of it's construction. It's way better than other lathes in it's size class, and it has the most powerful motor in it's class. As far as threading goes, I can't help you there. When I do have to tread something, I stick to taps and dies. The other thing that be of minor concern is the assembly. The microlux does requier some assembly. But trust be it is very simple, and after you are done putting it together, you will be much more confident of how it works and how to make adjustments. If you want a cheap lathe with no assembly requiered than you should go with grizzly. But you will have to make adjustments.