585,733 active members*
4,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Epoxy/Granite Gantry Router

Hi Everyone.

The stars have finally aligned and I now have access to a waterjet cutter and a reliable supply of manufactured granite (quartz/resin) slabs.

I am well aware of the extensive (and very interesting) thread regarding manufactured quartz (herein called "Epoxy/Granite") and the great work done trying to formulate a suitable recipe for use in polymer casting. However, I do not intend to formulate my own recipe or borrow from that thread.

Instead, I will use commercially available slabs whose production process adheres to the Breton Process and is ISO 14001 certified.

All I have at this point are some "mocked-up" templates made of poster board (to scale) and some linear motion blocks and rails (expensive).

I meet with the waterjet guys tomorrow.

Meet The Waterjets

Dropped off my mock-ups and got 'schooled' on what I can expect the waterjet to do with my epoxy/granite. I didn't hear any concerns. As far as I can tell this part of the project is stable. Time is an issue tho'. These guys work hard to pay for the waterjet and the shop is busy. They were cutting a huge sheet of stainless when I brought in my stinky little posterboard pieces. My project felt insignificant by comparison but I picked up points by having pieces "to scale" and a CAD drawing with millimeter dimensions.

*sniff*

I'm using a remnant piece of e/g -- 24" x 30" x 20cm for this first build. The beige color is all wrong but I don't care. I need to learn as much as I can about working with and cutting this kind of material.

Slabs of commercial e/g generally come in two thicknesses -- 20cm and 30cm. The 30cm slabs are normally used for kitchen countertops and vanities and seem to be preferred by architects. A bull-nosed 30cm piece looks like real business. And is.

The 20cm slabs are nicer in my opinion but harder to come by. For our purposes here, 20cm is the way to go and plenty strong.

This will be a heavy, but *very stable* machine.

I've also done some checking and found a manufacturer of 10cm slabs. I'm tempted -- but sticking to my plan. I'll wait and use 10cm in a future build.

Sounds interesting. Can you show us the basic design of your machine? Id like to know what we are talking about here

Millimeters Not Centimeters

The thickness dimension is 20mm. Not 20cm as previously posted. I apologize for the mistake. From now on I will discuss everything in millimeters ("mm").

I purchased a 24" x 24" x 10mm piece today. I still prefer 20mm for the table base and gantry but 10mm might be better suited for the cross member that attaches to the leadscrew.

I will post pictures of the cut pieces when I get them back.

Hi johnohara.
    Good luck with your build. I slightly envy you having a ready-made material to work with, and a local(?) waterjet facility to make it workable.
    Are you planning to have everything bolt together, or are you using epoxy to bond it ?
    Regards
    John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

Who is manufacturing your off the shelf product? Based on the dimensions, it almost looks as if you are using composite counter top material. I'd love to know what your material is and more importantly what the specs on it are.

John