585,737 active members*
4,498 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Trying to find ballscrew to stepper couplers. Metric to Imperial?

Question Trying to find ballscrew to stepper couplers. Metric to Imperial?

Hi folks,

I'm watching a few auctions on e-bay at the moment for ballscrews and rails. If I can sneak in there at the last minute they might be decent value! But the screws are metric 16mm, and the steppers I'm looking at on a different site have imperial shafts. 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch.

Does anyone know where I could get couplers for these sizes?

I was intending to buy everything from the states because of the huge savings on the exchange rate, but I've come across these and they're good value at the current price.

So anyone know where I could get metric to imperial couplers? Thanks.

PS: These will be for my new machine.....metal, geckos, HF spindle.....build thread to follow in a few weeks!

You need to a machine a journal on the ends of the ballscrews to properly mount them in the bearing blocks. The journal can be machined to an imperial size.

I've been looking a little on eBay as well (looking for 1/2 to 1/2 helical couplers). Here's the closest to what you're asking for that I've seen...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Helical-Products...QQcmdZViewItem
    The auction doesn't say anything about international shipping though.

Another option is the "spider" or "lovejoy" (I think they're generally considered the same) type couplings that come in 3 separate pieces. It looks like you could buy whatever sizes you want and hook them together.

From what I've seen on eBay it looks like you might get better prices over here...
    https://sdp-si.com/web/html/couplings.htm

Machining the ball screws to an imperial measurement would certainly work, but it might be a good idea to stick with the system of the screw in case you want to sell them in the future. It may be slightly harder to sell 16 mm screws with, say, 3/8" journals.

Question

Thanks folks....one other question. Does anyone know where I can buy or get the couplers machined with an internal key way to accept a high torque stepper like the NEMA 42? :
    http://www.anaheimautomation.com/man...ec%20Sheet.pdf

Are you looking at putting a 42 frame stepper on a 16mm ball screw?
    The best option is to maching the ball screws to a metric size and then bore out one of the coupling ends to suit the motor you want.

Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post
    Thanks folks....one other question. Does anyone know where I can buy or get the couplers machined with an internal key way to accept a high torque stepper like the NEMA 42? :
    http://www.anaheimautomation.com/man...ec%20Sheet.pdf
    Zapp Automation Ltd
    www.slidesandballscrews.com

Thanks zap. I contacted a ballscrew supplier and they said that they could machine couplers to match imperial stepper shafts, and that the key on the stepper shaft can be removed.

Send me your specs

Send me your specs and I can give you a qoute on custom machined solid shaft to shaft couplers. Spec out steel, brass, aluminum, plastic ETC
    [email protected]
    I work CHEAP
    Thanks

Bryan