584,866 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Caution While Using Your Touch Probe.

Caution While Using Your Touch Probe.

Hi Guys

This is a warning to everyone using a Touch Probe with your Tormach. The other day while locating the center of a Hole I ended up bending the Tip of my Probe. After pressing the (Find Center & Set Work Origin Button) the Probe moved left, located the side (Beeped) and started moving back but didn't stop when it reached the opposite side of the Hole. Unfortunately I wasn't watching at this particular moment and the Tip was bent as it was dragged out of the Hole. I had to press the Space Bar to stop the movement of the Probe.

At first I couldn't figure out why the Probe failed to stop. Upon returning to the (Run Screen) I noticed that the DRO's were showing the Machine Coordinates and the LED was flashing. Previously I had been looking at the Machine Coordinates and I forgot to return it to it's normal operation. Obviously when in Machine Coordinates the Macro fails to operate properly. So be warned to always return the DRO's to normal after looking at the Machine Coordinates.

I'm sure the chances of this happening is very low but I wanted to let everyone know so it doesn't happen to them.

Have a nice day.

Willy

Hi Willy,

Another thing to watch w/ the probe is the feedrate override %. This appears to apply to the approach speed of the probe as well as the milling screen.

It can really surprise you if the override is set at 200%!

Thanks for the "heads up".

Art Pentz