585,715 active members*
3,957 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can I avoid G28?

Hey guys. Well I finally got my Hardinge Superslant making parts and money for that matter. I am having a small issue with my programs however. This machine has a Fanuc GN6 control, which took some adjusting on my part to get used to. This control uses G50 to set my tool offsets, which is something new for me. It seems that I have to G28U0.W0. before every tool change or the turret doesn't know where it is. There has to be a way to avoid this, it is increasing my part time quite a bit. Any suggestions would be great.

G28 is good protection to assure that the tool is starting from a known position all the time. Multiple G50 calls is a good way to get lost in the woods

To use one and only one G50 call, you need to set all the tool length/radius offsets relative to a master tool, perhaps tool 1 (a finisher would be good), instead of setting the tools to the part reference point. In this system, you would have tool offsets for the master tool of very nearly Z0 X0, and all the other tools would be relatively small amounts compared to that, because it would only be the difference in position between their tool reference and the master tool.

So then the G50 call would represent the distance of the master tool from the part (work) reference.

Now whether the PLC in your controller permits a tool change at other positions other than turret home might be a good question.

Nonetheless, after a program interruption, you absolutely must return the machine to the G28 before the G50 is re-read.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hu,

Thanks for the reply. The tool will change outside of home. I am intrigued by your one G50 method. So, for example, if tool 1 was set to X0.Z0. and my cutoff tool was +.25 on Z compared to tool 1, would you program it that way or use your wear offsets to compensate?

Quote Originally Posted by Crashmaster View Post
    Hu,

Thanks for the reply. The tool will change outside of home. I am intrigued by your one G50 method. So, for example, if tool 1 was set to X0.Z0. and my cutoff tool was +.25 on Z compared to tool 1, would you program it that way or use your wear offsets to compensate?
    Always program the truth. Use the length and diameter offsets to compensate for the difference between the tools. Wear comp is not technically for that purpose, but I'm only guessing at what your offset register looks like.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

OK, that makes sense. I'll give it a try, Thanks!

hi mate
    cancel the tool call with a return to safe position in rapid
    G00 X100.Z50. T00

the T00 is required to cancel the offset
    hope this helps
    Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try it out sometime today.

Joe