585,914 active members*
3,824 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

High-quality band saw

I'm looking for a high quality band saw to use for rough-cutting aluminum in a home shop. I've seen a lot of $200 import bandsaws with mixed reviews (i.e. ryobi, hitachi, jet, grizzly).

I would probably prefer vertical (instead of horizontal) due to size and would be willing to spend up to $500 if it were a high quality saw.

I'm looking for something that's 1/2 - 1 HP. Will be used to cut small pieces of aluminum, so no specific size requirements on the actual band saw.

Any recommendations for brands or saws? Is there a high-quality, American manufacturer?
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Not for metal and $500 there isn't.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Oh yeah? Good to know. What kind of price would a good one cost? Any brands? Just looking to learn more before I pull the trigger.

FYI - It's only aluminum, not steel. And almost all cuts will be rough-cut before being milled, so quality of cut (or speed) isn't necessarily as imperative.

If it`s straight cuts only you want,you may be better looking at non-ferrous cold saws.Small footprint and extremely rapid.Doubt you will get something decent for $500 though.

Unfortunately cannot use a coldsaw in this space. Trying to focus my research on bandsaws. Can anyone suggest a vendor or brand? There must be American equivalents or better quality... no?

Try $4500 for a metal cutting bandsaw.

My 1.5 hp jet did a nice job on 1/2 6061 t6 I used to corcse of a blade but it did ok

Kevin - thanks! You were happy with the quality of the Jet brand?

This is the only jet branded tool i have ever used. but i do like it If i had to use it all day everyday i would buy a better saw. powermatics are nice and so are some others .At $1500. for a 18 inch saw this one is good. i payed $500. for mine it was used for 1 year before i got it . its a wood saw but did a nice job on alum. even using the wrong blade

Those machines you are talking about generally run way too high SFM (because they are meant for wood).
    The machine I had waaay back when, was the same as the Jet and it worked acceptably using a 10X gearbox reduction. If you have a gearbox, belts, pulleys and spare time laying around it doesn't cost a whole lot. If you don't you could easily put another grand into modifying the machine.
    I would watch auctions and dealers for a big old metal cutter and buy it, you wont regret it.

Darebee - Thanks for the explanation. What's an appropriate SFM for 6061 aluminum?

You would have to talk to your blade manu about your usage to determine that appropriate blade and SFM thereof.

I cut alu at 300 - 350 and CRS at 150 - 200.
    I use expensive blades but use the saw very little.
    (not the little Jet "type" - it is long gone)

Here's another option that I just fell into by accident. I bought a Kondia milling machine from from a man liquidating his home shop. He had a Walker Turner bandsaw from the '40s that nobody else was interested in and he threw it in the deal if I would move it out. It has a 16" throat and is all cast iron. There is a gearbox on it that gives you 200-500 fpm for metal and 2000-5000 fpm for wood. It is a really quality machine and since getting mine, I have seen them for sale for $500-$1000 refurbished. Make sure it is the model with the gearbox. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Band Saw 004.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	64824Check some of the wood working forums.
    Jim

There ya go.
    That is real saw.
    Not much to go wrong on that and easy to rebuild if it does.

Don't expect to find much for 500! You might find some older dedicated well used verticals for 1200-2000. Then you might have to deal with worn parts and a blade welder which does not work. For around 800-1200 you cna get a 7X10 capacity on sale.

Even those 7x10 horizontals at ~$1000 are not "quality" saws...I used to have one and I was sorry that I bought it. The replaceable blade guides on my new saw cost more than that.

So clearly "quality" saws are not sold by vendors like Enco, US Stop Tools, KBC, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by tikka308 View Post
    So clearly "quality" saws are not sold by vendors like Enco, US Stop Tools, KBC, etc?
    I had a look on the KBC website and they have a 14" vertical bandsaw which would probably meet your needs but it is over $500 and I would not describe it as 'high' quality, it is adequate quality. I have one that is comparable which came from Busy Bee in Canada.

You would probably need to do a bit of upgrading on the blade guides but as they come they are adequate for freehand cutting of aluminum up to 2-1/2" thick using a 6 teeth per inch bimetal blade.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

The cheapest saw at KBC I would consider to be the start of quality for metal cutting is $3800.

I found a used Rollin saw for $300 - I had to make a table, but I love the saw.
    http://www.rollinsaw.com/band_saws/E...l_band_saw.htm
    I don't have the room for a vertical saw and a cut-off saw, so the feature that allows the whole head to power feed through the stationary work is nice. The table doesn't tilt, but I don't mind. You can lock the power feed and use it like a regular vertical bandsaw as well.

NEATman