585,589 active members*
2,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > My CNC mill with mini lathe performing CNC lathe operations

My CNC mill with mini lathe performing CNC lathe operations

Hey guys. I have a very simple setup here. I have a Smithy CNC mill 1240. And a regular mini lathe (microlux 7x14) With the mini lathe mounted to the table of my mill, and a lathe tool mounted to the neck of my spindle. I can perform CNC lathe operations, with no extra hardware! I simply use the mill's CNC capabilties to perform CNC lathe jobs! Check out my pictures and tell me what you think. And I am happy to answer any questions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe 001.jpg   lathe 002.jpg   lathe cutting 003.jpg   lathe cutting 004.jpg  

that's awesome.nice job.
    so you used Z and X axes(of mill) to get the cnc movements of lathe right?
    and if iam not looking wrong,your whole lathe setup is sitting on X axis.
    that's a amazing setup you have there.
    i would like to see a video of the machine.

Hey student1616. Yes, you have it right. The lathe is bolted to the table, which obviously moves in the X and Y axis. However, the only time I use the Y axis is to center the lathe cutting bit over the lathe. The Z and X axis are the only axis I use when I'm using the lathe. Programing is simple as well. I use my normal design software, I switch the "veiw" from top to front. Let's say I want to make a metal ball. All I have to draw is half a circle. And since I'm drawing in only the X and Z axis, the machine takes care of the rest. As far as a video goes. I need help as how to go about that. I have never uploaded a video before. So if you know how, let me know and I can upload it for you.

well youtube is ur best friend.
    create an account and upload as many videos as you want.its free.once you upload it,share the link generated some thing like this
    "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvbArcGqkjk"

Wow!

That's thinking outside the box!

tormach just launched the exact same setup under the name : duality lathe ,implying a cnc and manualfunctions.

All i can add is : how come i didn't think of that ?
    Finally CHIPS you can have as much as you can without the doc. complainting about your cholesterol.

Hi Irondigit, I am aware of the Tormach set up. The idea has been around for a while though if you think about it. When you look at the 3 in 1 machines, they work the exact same way. You just don't see them computerized. It is however, very nice to be able to remove the lathe when you are finished and then use it as a manual lathe. Check out my newest pictures! These are wheel centers made of aluminum, they fit perfect. And the finish is really nice as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1183.jpg   100_1194.jpg   100_1198.jpg  

Bridgeport / mini-lathe combo

A friend of mine had an old Bridgeport CNC, and a mini-lathe. I suggested the same idea that you came up with. But I took a little different approach.
    I considered the rigidity of the lathes’ cross slide, and the fact that the tool post allowed for easy tool clamping, centering, and the ability to do tool changes. So, instead of mounting the turning tool in the mills’ spindle, we instead mounted a piece of ground and polished bar stock in the spindle and fitted a simple plate to the top of the tool post with a corresponding bore to except the polished bar.
    The cross slide needed to move freely, so the nut of the lead screw was simply removed/disengaged.
    In operation, the polished bar was simply lowered into the plate on the tool post, and the mill moved the cross slide as programmed.
    The end result worked very well, and the lathe was easily converted back to standard operation.