584,805 active members*
5,063 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport CNC Torq-Cut 22, need advise

Bridgeport CNC Torq-Cut 22, need advise

was thinking of purchasing a 1996 Bridgeport Vertical CNC with DX-32 controller, does anyone have any feedback on this machine? I am unfamiliar with the control and machine, the one I am looking at is really nice shape, 4th axis, good price, just wondering about reliablility and service issues? Please reply asap, thanks for the help in advance.......

Updates

You are limited to what the capacity of the processor. I think the max on it is a 486MHz. If you are looking at doing basic stuff, it works out great. If you try to incorporate other programs, an update to someone else's software and controllers would be necessary.

I've got a '99 TC1 which is, essentially, the same machine. I had worked with TC22 & TC30's in the past & never had any real issues. Rock solid & real workhorses. We do a lot of complex 3D models, molds, etc., so toolpaths are typically huge. On the older machines (& '96 might be in that group) we were able to install hard drives & network cards, load Windows 3.11, and they worked great doing what we needed. The TC1, however, was trickier b/c Bridgeport went (seemingly) out of their way to make user upgrades like these nearly impossible.....

I bought a Haas VF3SS in '05 & the TC1 has seen very little use since then. Max feed rate for clean surface milling on my TC1 was about 30ipm; any faster & the processor would choke up. I run 90-200ipm on the Haas. The floppy drive on the TC1 works sporadically now and the only other way to get "large" programs into it was through a direct cable connection to another x86 based PC (that died 18 mos ago). I'm now looking into new controllers & other options to make it useable in my shop...either that or selling it. Bottom line: I've had good experiences with these machines and, for typical machining, say go for it.