584,830 active members*
5,897 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Sharp CNC > Need computer to machine help

Need computer to machine help

Hi All,
    I have had my 2412 for a year now and I really think it’s a great machine. I am finally at the point where I am setting up a dedicated computer for it. In other words, I have been at my office computer on my CAD/CAM program, save g code in Notepad, save it to a flash card, walk to the 2412, load it, and finally run it.
    I am installing a computer at the machine for use with my CAD/CAM for direct loading into the machine. Unfortunately the manual is the worst ever written.
    Can any of you walk me through or offer any advise in terms of my next step? I’ll be using a new desk top with XP-Pro (not Vista). I figure that if I continue to save my G-Code to Notepad (I like Notepad because I can do my final G-Code tweaking without too much trouble), it shouldn’t be too difficult to send it the 2412. I am just not sure how to do this. USB or RS232? Not sure what I need.....
    Any help is very appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Larry

Do you have communication software? you can send a .txt file with many comunication softwares.
    Do you have a cable? You can use a 9 pin to 25 pin, or usb adapters are available.
    I set mine up once to dnc from a PC, when my flash-card reader wasnt working, but I went back to the flash card as soon as it was fixed.
    You will also need to change a setting in the control, IIRC it is a channel setting so that the control know you are using the comm port.

Laptop or Desktop PC? Does it have a serial port? If there is one, it'll probably be a DB-9M with (possibly) a "IOIOI" label. If there's a DB25 connector on your PC it's probably a Parallel Printer port, so whatever you do, don't use that!!!

If it's a desktop and doesn't have a serial port, I'd recommend you go to Fry's or the like and buy an aftermarket serial card as opposed to using a USB to Serial Convertor. If it's a laptop, I'd recommend a PCMCIA to serial adapter (Quatech makes a good one... not cheap, but good).

You'll need communications software. Some guys use Hyperterminal (free with Windows), but there are better ways to go, such as ProCOMM or you could even go with something like Predator CNC Editor, which is much better than Notepad, and includes backplotting and communications.

You'll need a cable. You can buy or build this, depending on your soldering or crimping skills. It will have a DB-25M on the Fanuc end, and DB-9F on the PC end.

If you're going to build your own, buy good quality 24 or 22 GA stranded/shielded cable and wire as follows:

Fanuc <------------> PC

1 <----- shield ----- (no connection)
    2 <-----------------> 2
    3 <-----------------> 3
    4 & 5 jumpered ----- (no connection)
    6, 8, 20 jumpered --- (no connection)
    7 <-----------------> 5

You'll need to set your I/O device to 0 (it's probably set for 4 now to use the card), and match the Fanuc's communication parameters to match the comm software. Some comm software is easier to set than the Fanuc's parameters, so you may want to match it to the Fanuc.

Good luck, and yell if you get stuck.

Thanks Guys,

I'll be stting up the computer in the next day or so. Thanks for the help. I think it's a good start.

Larry

:withstupiHaving moved programs via walk up and rs232, Walk up and insert card will always give you less trouble.

I've found it just the opposite. I have 2 customers who's PCMCIA connector in the control has gone bad. Luckily, both were covered under warranty. I can't remember the last RS232 connector I've had go bad. I know they do, but over the years I've set up hundreds of PC to RS232, and out of all those, I can't name one that didn't work. I've only set up a dozen or so machines where they want to use the card, and 2 have failed.

edsgarage is on a distinguished road
    Hi Larry,
    First, if you are using RS232 there are settings you need to set.
    The baud rate on the machine must be set to the rate on the communication software.
    Windows had hyperterminal (The pgm you use to communicate with the machine).
    There are other DNC pgms as well.
    You must set hyperterminal (or other DNC software) to the correct com port on your computer.
    Set the com port in the system settings (windows) to the same baud rate also.
    Hyper term will have settings for "handshaking" also.
    You need to know what your machine requires if necessary. (RTS/DTS etc).
    You will also need a "Null Modem cable".
    Files are either transferred as files with an extension (ex: .txt, .cod .tap etc) or text.
    From your post it sounds like that you are transferring text.

Good luck!

Ed
    Edit/Delete Message

Thanks guys,

I am waiting for the cable to show up and then I'll give it a try.

Back to you soon

Larry

Re: Need computer to machine help

Sorry posted in the wrong post

Re: Need computer to machine help

I have been using a USB key to transfer files from my desktop to my workshop for many years, with zero problems. That's even lightning-proof!

Cheers
    Roger