585,568 active members*
3,788 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > 24V supply leaps to 35V when driver board connected!

24V supply leaps to 35V when driver board connected!

I'm puzzled here.

I have a Mechatronics 3 axis driver board.

I have a 24V PSU (whichwith no load, outputs about 35V as measured with my Voltmeter)

I didn't want to connect it up to the driver board without putting a test load across the 24V first (to check)- so I connected up a 10K resistor - I then measured the supply voltage with my Voltmeter ....it was 24V.

Ok, so now I connect up my Mechatronics stepper driver board....at this point the voltage goes back to 35V (& this is with the 10k load resistor still in place). For the life of me I can't figure out why - anyone got a top tip or two?

(PS Not sure if it's significant...but when I connect my stepper board to the PSU, my stepper board also is connected back via a 25W ribbon cable to my laptop.

A 10k resistor across a 35v PS is not really a test load, It will hardly see the 3.5ma that would be drawn.
    To provide a decent test load the resistor should be sized close enough to cause near the rated current to flow.
    BTW that is a fairly high output for a supposedly 24vdc supply, even off load.
    What is the rated current or VA of the PS?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    A 10k resistor across a 35v PS is not really a test load, It will hardly see the 3.5ma that would be drawn.
    To provide a decent test load the resistor should be sized close enough to cause near the rated current to flow.
    BTW that is a fairly high output for a supposedly 24vdc supply, even off load.
    What is the rated current or VA of the PS?
    Al.
    You make a fair point about the 10K resistor (but it's better than the PSU floating with zero load). I used this resistance as that's what I measured when I put my Voltmeter probes across the +ve & -ve terminals of the mechatronics stepper driver board.

The 10k resistor actually did it's job & the PSU output came down to 24V. (The PSU is quite chunky - its rated output it 15A @24V). I should add the purpose wasn't to load it (because even at 1K across 24V it's only going to draw 24mA), just to give the PSU a 'load' to see.

Just done one more test - I isolated the stepper driver board from the PC (disconnected the 25 way), so the only external connection to the stepper board is the 24V. I then put a 1k resistor across the PSU 24V DC output - tested fine again at 24V ....however as soon as I connect it up to the stepper board, once again I measure 35V?!!!!

This one has got me beat!

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    You make a fair point about the 10K resistor (but it's better than the PSU floating with zero load). I used this resistance as that's what I measured when I put my Voltmeter probes across the +ve & -ve terminals of the mechatronics stepper driver board.

The 10k resistor actually did it's job & the PSU output came down to 24V. (The PSU is quite chunky - its rated output it 15A @24V). I should add the purpose wasn't to load it (because even at 1K across 24V it's only going to draw 24mA), just to give the PSU a 'load' to see.
    ....however as soon as I connect it up to the stepper board, once again I measure 35V?!!!!
    From what you are saying, I am assuming it is a regulated switching supply?
    A linear supply of the correct sizing, either regulated or unregulated should not perform that way with a minimum load such as that.
    1/ It is doubtful your resistance reading across the input to the stepper board is going to be realistic, as a digital meter on ohms range will not measure the effect of semiconductor devices in the board.
    I am guessing that the 'Real' load of the stepper board is causing an effect on the output of the switching supply.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Just to give some conclusion here - it looks like it's the actual PSU.

I had a 16V laptop PSU lying around so tested that with my stepper driver board- 16V rock solid both disconnected & connected to the stepper board. I put an oscilloscope on the 24V PSU ....very weird - certainly not DC ....if fact more like an odd shaped sawtooth 24V peak to peak (whereas scoping the 16V showed the +ve rail to be rock solid ripple free)

I may be that you are not loading the supply enough. Some switching power supplies don't work with less than 10 % load. I would put at least a 2 amp load and remeasure the output.

I agree with armstrong - you need to put a decent load on the power supply. Also it may be that the supply doesnt like 'reactive' loads and goes into some form of self oscillation when connected to the driver. A good resistive damping load, drawing at least a couple of hundred mA (something like a 100ohm 10W resistor) across the supply line should help.

Personally for motor drives I prefer a simple transformer/bridge/big C supply - less to go wrong and less susceptible to the back EMF from the motor as well.