585,926 active members*
3,908 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

From jpeg to gcode

By using Inkscpape and can convert a jpeg to a vector drawing. When I save the drawing I have many choices two of which are dxf or svg. Either of these are supposed to open in Lazy cam but they won't for me. The .svg files appear to be opening but Lazy Cam reports that there are no entities and nothing show in the screen as a drawing nor in the project list either. If I try to open a .dxf file in TurboCAD I get the same result - nothing.

The files exist but only open in Inkscape and no other program that I can find. Anybody have a solution?

John
    Attached Files Attached Files

forget lazycam it's more trouble than its worth , try cambam its free
    http://www.brusselsprout.org/CAMBAM/download.htm
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

A couple of screenshots. The first is SheetCam TNG, the second is the resulting Gcode backplotted in emc2. All done quick and dirty.

SheetCam TNG currently has no line limit on the gcode file but the demo times out every 30 days.

Edit/ Something went very wrong when those pics were uploaded ! The drawings look fine on my screen.

Edit 2/ I'm surprised LazyCam can't open that file. Have you tried asking on whatever forum LazyCam users hangout?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bwknot_sc.png   bwknot_bplot.png  
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Tribe View Post
    By using Inkscpape and can convert a jpeg to a vector drawing. When I save the drawing I have many choices two of which are dxf or svg. Either of these are supposed to open in Lazy cam but they won't for me. The .svg files appear to be opening but Lazy Cam reports that there are no entities and nothing show in the screen as a drawing nor in the project list either. If I try to open a .dxf file in TurboCAD I get the same result - nothing.

The files exist but only open in Inkscape and no other program that I can find. Anybody have a solution?

John
    It doesn't open in Autosketch 9 either. I've also tried to open it in Mach3 v1 - File/Import DXF's unsuccessfully.

As regards LazyCam; following a querie about this program I had this reply from Scott Nichols of Artsoft:-
    At the time when LazyCam was being developed, it was changing so fast that there was no time to write a manual (although there has since been one written by a user). At this point in time, though, LazyCam has been a dead, Beta project for years and I would *HIGHLY* recommend that you look into using more robust, updated programs such as Cambam or something from Vectric...

At the time when it was created, there were no low cost CAM programs available, so Art decided to create one. During the development process, though, other programs started to fill that niche, so LazyCam development stopped and focus transferred back to Mach. I think the fact that it is cleary labled as a Beta program, and the website has said for years - in bold letters - that development has ceased, strongly implies that it is not a finished program and is probably still a bit buggy... ;-)

Jim Taylor