584,865 active members*
5,018 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Running Camsoft in a virtual machine

While I have been running my Camsoft lathe retro on Win98, I do have newer and faster computers that I could be using.

So rather than uninstall the operating system (XP) on the potential candidate computers, I was wondering about the possibilities of running Win98 in a virtual machine within XP. I've not experimented in that regard at all, and thought it would be interesting to know the ins and outs of doing this. I know, take something simple and make it complicated
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Why not just run Camsoft under XP? You do have to make a couple changes - no updates and no virus software running. Because I permanently disabled these features, I also made it so the internet isn't visable (Mac ID filtering on the router)

Karl

I'm not sure if my dongle is good for the XP operating system. I'm also not eager to buy maintenance for a machine that is basically set up and done with.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hmmmm. I may be missing something, but how about just taking the hard drive from your old 98 box and putting it into your newer box.

Like Karl, I have been running a machine in production on XP and it works......... :-| (I would much rather see Camsoft running on Linux)

I am not an expert on dongles, but I believe that they will work on most of the windoze flavors, although some may be more desirable than others.

AL

Murray,

We have both CNC Lite and Professional running under virtual machine under XP on one tech station and it does run, but not at the same performance, a minor few oddities but since the hardware drivers error using the virtual machine we use it in development mode only.

To run motion you would need a straight 98 or XP system. We have Vista now too.

A better idea is to look into the dual boot idea. Where some mother boards will allow you to place your original Win 98 hard disk into a new PC that has it's own hard disk for XP. When the PC boots a question appears giving you so many seconds to answer. Boot to Win98 or XP? This would be providing that Win98 has the generic Windows driver to talk to the Video card, Printer ect.. in this new PC.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    951-674-8100
    [email protected]