585,722 active members*
4,184 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Router Bit Changes

OK folks, I need some input.

I tend to limit what I cut on the CNC machine due to bit changes being difficult and often moving things out of index. I'd love to be able to rough out a piece with a big ball end and then finish it with a nice fine detail bit, but I end up doing it all with one bit because changing the bit on my router ( it's currently a Bosch Colt ) is a real pain in the a$$.

So, for my new machine, a Solsylva belt-drive homebuilt that I just finished all the parts for and am about three days from cutting with, I have a PC 690 router with an outboard speed control that I plan on using.
    Now, I see on chipsfly.com a replacement collet that makes bit changing a simple matter of a single setscrew that tightens a ring around the collet. That's a great idea even if they don't make a quarter-inch version.

BUT- and there's always a but- if I go that route, I'd have a half-inch collet with a quarter-inch reducer holding an eighth-inch reducer for use with the Precisebits.com 8th-inch shank bits. That's a lotta runout potential if you ask me.

So I see Ron's got some nice precision collets for use with the small bits. Ooh! I want!

BUT- another but- this wont' address my issue of bit changes being a b*tch. ( Isn't it interesting that the first 5 letters of the phrase 'bit change' describe the process perfectly?)

So, anyone got any suggestions on how I can make bit changes easier? Should I forget the idea of a quick-change quarter-inch collet with a reducer for the 8th inch bits ? I need some input on how much runout these quick-change collets introduce, and what my options are- I've only ever seen the one quick-change collet, are there others that might work? Where do I look?

Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope.

OK, I guess no one else ever changes bits on a router in the middle of a cut file.

sure, I align to a set reference plate, others use 'find zero' type of functions...
    some just make up their own set screw collars, and use an indexing station..

on a wood router it's not that big of a deal, as compared to a precision metal mill...

..enjoy..

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...seBVCookie=Yes

apparently you can get these for porter cable
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

My router is belt driven and I also moved the axis sometimes when I was changing bits.

After picking up the collet set from Think & Tinker I found it is much easier to change bits, Securing the bits takes a lot less force versus the standard PC collet. I no longer get the “snap” which caused me to move the axis when the nut breaks lose. A big plus is the ability to use 1/8 bits on my 892..

I definitely plan on getting that collet set, no question. Guess that's the way forward, unless I want to pay 2800 bucks for the ATC I saw using a 7518.