585,748 active members*
3,673 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Mach Mill > Mach 3 - Taig CNC Mill Headache Setting Up correct Units of Measure!

Unhappy Mach 3 - Taig CNC Mill Headache Setting Up correct Units of Measure!

hey Guys (& Gals) ! Can you help me with my mill? I was trying to learn some cad/cam programs but noticed it wasn't that simple at all. I noticed the motors move without any problems while using keyboards arrow keys to move it back and forth (amazed with CNC still). But I noticed the measurements was all wrong. If i move an inch, it would show on the DROs that it moves anywhere from 20-32inches. The original owner had it set to mm so I just swapped the units measure and played around with the stepping units, velocity/acceleration with not much differences. This is really steep learning curve. The motors are supposedly 280oz/in or something like that. Can someone please shed some light? I have nothing setup at the moment except for that I know the steppers move. Sound changes with different numbers I input. Where do I start? Thanks and it will be a LONG weekend of learning here.

Re: Mach 3 - Taig CNC Mill Headache Setting Up correct Units of Measure!

It sounds like Mach3 was set up in mm, and you're expecting inches. See if giving it a G20 command in the MDI panel gets it closer to what you want. If not, you might have to play with the steps per unit settings.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Thanks Andrew. I have "semi" figured it out. Yes it was setup for mm and I'm going to be using all imperial eventually. I found out my cheapo TB6560 was set to microstepping (1/16). So I used the correct mm to inch conversion and the DROs came out pretty good until I fine tuned it with a .001 incremental dial gauge. My steps per inch gave me 64,XXX with Velocity of 4.xx" and Acceleration 2.xx". Sorry I don't recall the exact numbers but I've done all measurements and are .001" within spec (1/1 thousandths correct?). Now I'm trying to jog faster than the 4inches. I've tried "SHIFT" and setting it to 100% but without anything faster. I have a 24V power supply and using Long's 23HS8610 Stepper Motors. Every video I've seen on YouTube seems to be much faster than mine. Mine looks like the speed of an item being cut. I'll try that G20 command and see later when I'm in the workshop. Thank you once again for replying.

I looked up those motors; it looks like you bought a "kit" like this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Step...308.4.2.GVV0CQ

The good news is that you really saved a lot of money over buying quality components that would work well together.

The bad news is that all that money was thrown away on a pile of useless junk. If the motors were any good, you could get new drivers and power supply. If the drivers were decent, you could get new motors. If the power supply was worth anything you could start from there. But none of it is any good at all.

Those motors have a whopping 14mH of inductance. That means that in order to run at their full speed, they need about 120v supplied to them. Of course, that would blow up those crappy TB6560 drivers (which are notorious around here, since lots of people buy them, try them, and then ask why they don't work). Feeding them 24v is giving them 20% of what they want, which is why you're barely moving at all.

My suggestion is to throw all that stuff in the trash (unless you can return it to the seller, which is doubtful, or recycle it somehow) and start over again with a 50v power supply, a Gecko G-540 board, and some 23-frame steppers that have about 2.3 mH of inductance and 200 or so oz-in of torque. You've got a nice machine - the Taig is a great little mill - but what you're doing now is like trying to run your car with a lawnmower engine.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

i haven't done much research but if OP has 6 wire motors, it is possible to open them up and wire them for bipolar, parallel. this will cut the inductance to 1/4th of what it is now, and the current can be turned up to 2 amps.

i have no knowledge of what the tb6560 driver is capable of.

if op has 8 wire motors then they can be run in bipolar parallel, however i don't know how the inductance is measured, meaning i don't know if that inductance is measured for bipolar series or bipolar parallel.

anyhow, 4 axis for 135$. its a toss up, might try to return them, or sell them to someone else.

a G540 will set you back 300$ and you still need to find better steppers and a 48 volt power supply.

however for a taig, 270oz inches of torque at low speeds is probably enough. mine are supposedly 325 and i find it hard to break 1/4" inch endmills.