585,712 active members*
4,279 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > MasterCam X arc or many lines...?

MasterCam X arc or many lines...?

Hi, Im running Mastercam X and am using the default postprocessor on a Sieg x2 mini mill. sometimes when I post gcode it will output a curve as many different lines... this makes the program really long! as you can imagine. I dont know if its my cad model (I used pro engineer to create an .IGES file and imported it into Mastercam x) or if its mastercam. or maybe its the way I selected the geometry? Ill post the .nc file so you can look at it. I dont want to edit it if i can since its kinda long. values are in inches.

the file is basically 5 "U" shaped slots in a radial pattern, the slots are about 3mm wide. I climb mill using a 2mm endmill, but when it gets to the outer curve its made up of tiny lines, and the inner curve is an actual arc... I programmed the path using a contour tool path and im using the ramp feature. (LOVE the ramp feature!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mastercam profile.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Use the filter option, it looks like you have splines. The filter will filter out small moves less than the tolerence you select and will also add arcs where it can in xy plane.Filter is on the contour parameters page.
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

Along with what Steve said, you should really try to export a better format from ProE. IGES (IGuess?) files often come out with splines instead of arcs. That's likely the root of your problem.

One of my customers sends step files from ProE, and they work great. Parasolid .xt or .xb also work wonderfully.

ok thanks guys!!

what is weird is I tried to make a separate tool path for each "u" shaped cut out and it made arcs on the last three but not the first two... but I made the toolpath and sent it to Mach3 and it cut beautifully!!

yeah i can do STEP files too, I just thought that IGES (.igs ) files were the only ones I could use. (I tried using step files with OneCNC and I couldnt select any geometry since it was all triangles, I thought it would be the same for MasterCam.)

I prefer parasolids, they come in clean.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: MasterCam X arc or many lines...?

this the way I found to solve that problem #1 go under control machine definition manager #2 arcs #3 en rigth bottom corner you have 3 choices get the second choice and try it well kick the R or whatever you choice is on the arcs radius or absolute or design you choice from there