584,857 active members*
4,604 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Water Based Coolant

I am new to the world of water based coolants & have a question. Every day or so the coolant seems to thicken up. I add five gallons or so of straight water to bring the coolant level back up and check it for its percentage level. (10 to 12 percent) Then add mixed water and coolant to top off. When I run the machine it looks as if the water and coolant are not mixed. When it pools on the table after it cycles I can see straight water and dark coolant.

Tom

You should mix your coolant and water thoroughly before adding it to your coolant tank.
    As with most oils, if it poured directly into water they tend to fight against each other until blended thoroughly.
    Also, generally not a good idea to add straight water to your tank. Increases chance of corrosion.

Gary

also remember that eventually the water the coolant is mixed with will begin evaporating,hence becoming thicker.adding one bucket of water isnt going too hurt anything.remember add the coolant too water,not the opposite way when you mix it.

Dude, never add straight water to a sump. It will separate. This is first hand info from The boys at Blaser Swisslube, and Ometa. They all say the same thing. DO NOT ADD Straight water.

Make some 1% and add that. Generally if you charge your machine to say 10-12% the coolant you chould be adding later should be in the well less than that, depending on the amounts you are required to top up. This will only come from experimentation!
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Quote Originally Posted by classictom View Post
    I am new to the world of water based coolants & have a question. Every day or so the coolant seems to thicken up. I add five gallons or so of straight water to bring the coolant level back up and check it for its percentage level. (10 to 12 percent) Then add mixed water and coolant to top off. When I run the machine it looks as if the water and coolant are not mixed. When it pools on the table after it cycles I can see straight water and dark coolant.

Tom
    Sound like you are not mixing your coolant properly, my guess, dump some coolant in the bottom of a bucket and then add some water. Add to machine?

The proper way is to take a bucket of water and aggitate vigourously, then drizzle in your coolant slowly. Sounds stupid but you need to realize that your coolant and the water can align themselves together in two different ways, there is the emulsion you want by adding the oil to the water slowly or a reverse emulsion by adding water to the oil, a reverse emulsion will be more likely to give you seperation and also has unfavorable heat distribution properties.