585,589 active members*
3,745 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What causes the occasional run away mill?

Hi all,

Sometimes working with Mach 3, the mill will just do the inexplicable and not follow the program. Why is this? Is it because of some other program is interfering with Mach 3 while it is running? I had several experience so far when the table would just run out of its original path. But these are trial runs and cutting air.

Alex

more than likely you are picking up noise electrical interference make sure all your limit and motor connection cables are shielded and that your wires to your drivers are kept as short as possible . Also if you have your power supply and your drivers in the same box separate as far away as you can. And if you have a break out board get it out of the case and in a separate case by its self been there my self corrected my problem.

HI Woffler,

Thanks for the reply. I have quite a large pc casing and when I fist started out, there was a humming noise coming from the motor everytime I on the controller. This was attributed to the driver being placed too close to the PSU. I moved that an inch or so away and solved that problem.

Also, I got these cables for my motor and they have 4 wires inside with a layer of wires twisted around the four wires. I guess this is the shielding you are mentioning. Its not foil but wires. I also find that the wire for connecting up the stepper has a lower gauge than the wires coming from the stepper. And every time the machine runs, the wire do get warm.

Any idea where I can get the proper gauge 4 wires shielded cable online. I can't seem to get the right ones where I am.

Alex

Talking from woffler about your wire

you have your wire undersized if its getting hot you can call these guys and order over the phone .get aluminum shielded how ever many wires you need with a ground in it also make sure you dont have any wires going to ground of the case or the mill.Also make sure you have your drivers ground isolated this means no metal screws! to the case get nylon or plastic screws do you have heat sinks under your drivers?if so good just make sure nothing grounds to the case evrything needs to bee isolated i know this sounds like a pain but it can mean the difference between a good part and a crash . here is the number elliot electronics 520-884-7394 they are a good source for any electronic parts and they are honest.They will help with problems if you ask.

Hi Woffler,

Thanks. Unfortunately I am on the other side of the world. Calling would be expensive. Maybe you can direct me to an ebay seller?

get aluminum shielded how ever many wires you need with a ground in it also make sure you don't have any wires going to ground of the case or the mill.
    Not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain a little bit more?

As for isolating the driver, the drivers have heat sink built in so that is ok. But I admit I have them connected directly to the metal casing. Will build a delrin seat for them then. Isolating the driver would prevent stray signal correct? Any other reason as to why this is not a good idea?

Alex

Talking here is the ebay item # its 18 gauge double shielded wire wrap and aluminum

Hi, woffler! (Sign out) Site Map

aAll CategoriesAntiquesArtBabyBooksBusiness & IndustrialCameras & PhotoCell Phones & PDAsClothing, Shoes & AccessoriesCoins & Paper MoneyCollectiblesComputers & NetworkingCraftsDolls & BearsDVDs & MovieseBay MotorsElectronicsEntertainment MemorabiliaGift CertificatesHealth & BeautyHome & GardenJewelry & WatchesMusicMusical InstrumentsPottery & GlassReal EstateSpecialty ServicesSporting GoodsSports Mem, Cards & Fan ShopStampsTicketsToys & HobbiesTravelVideo GamesEverything ElseAdvanced Search

Categories Motors Express Stores

Buy Sell My eBay Community Help

##1##
    ##2##

Back to item description

Email to a Friend

Your friend will receive an email containing this eBay item. Please send this email only to people you know who would be interested in this information.

Sellers: If you use this service to advertise an item you are selling and the recipient complains to eBay, your eBay registration may be suspended. See our guidelines.
    Reply: [email protected]

To:

Enter an email address. eBay won't use this address for promotional purposes, or disclose it to a third party.

Subject: ernest rhoades sent you this eBay item:100 Ft- 18 Gauge 5 Conductor Wire ITC-ER (UL)105'C 18/5 (#160280241274)

Personal Message:
    Hi, I saw this item on eBay and thought you might be interested.

3931 characters left; No HTML, asterisks, or quotes.

Copy me on this email.

About eBay | Announcements | Security Center | eBay Toolbar | Policies | Government Relations | Site Map | Help

Copyright © 1995-2008 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy.
    eBay official time

Thanks.