585,708 active members*
3,823 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

troubleshooting EMC2

Is there a way to view what state the various parts of my mill are in? was thinking of something like a diagnostics screen so I can see why my mill wont work. Basically when I set up all my setting in EMC I could manualy jog my motors. When the main screen is up and I load a sample code all the buttons the start the process are greyed out. I have no way of finding out what is causing this. I am using a 3- axis hobby CNC board and the latest Ubuntu/EMC2 intstall CD. Any advice??? Thanks

It sounds like you have not cleared the estop or that you have not clicked the "Machine Power" button.

Did you set up an estop switch in the ini file? Did you actually wire an estop switch?

There is also a menu selection that allows you to examine the state of the hal pins.

Alan

Go to Machine/Show HAL Configuration, you will find 99% of what you need in the Pins section. Find the one you want and open the Watch window then click on the pin to add it to the watch window. Now when you toggle the input or whatever you can see the current state of the pin.

Here is a link to show you what it looks like...

http://www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//hal_halshow.html

John

Edit: this assumes your using the AXIS interface...

It sounds like EMC is seeing an estop (emergency stop) signal. Run the stepconf program again and either invert the signal or tell EMC that you don't have a "real" estop. When you start EMC, press F1 to clear the software estop (which is on by default) and then press F2 to turn on the machine. After that you should be able to load/run your gcode file.