585,743 active members*
5,033 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation variaxis tool height setter

Hi, my name is Richard, I am new to these forums, so hello to everybody. We have a Mazak Variaxis 630-5x, and we dont know how to calibrate the tool height setter, I have a know length gauge tool, and the setter is 0.118 out. I asume there is a parameter to adjust somewhere, but I don;t know where it is, or what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thankyou
    Richard.

Fusion controls and older have an R parameter to adjust Z (R2392). I'm not sure on Matrix control (I've heard it changed). Which control are you using?
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Hi, thanks for the reply, I am using a Fusion 640M control, I will give it a go, and post my results, thanks again.

Hi, thanks for that, the tool height setter is now calibrated, but I have another problem. I cannot probe certain tools in auto measure mode, this includes endmills of any size. I get a error which states illegal tool to auto measure, can this be fixed. Thanks once again.

Yes ands it likely related to your Tool Data. Make sure your tool descriptions are proper. Certain tools will not auto measure... Facemills, Chamfer tools (not sure why but..), Probes, etc. I think the only descriptions that can auto measure are endmills, drills, spot drills, taps.... Any other has to be manual measure.

Are you using Mazatrol to measure? I know several shops will call all of their tools "Drills" to get around this. Of course, if you're programming in Mazatrol, this won't work. Then it's up to the operator to make sure he doesn't auto measure a tool that won't work or break the tool setter.

tool measure

Hi, I program, in Iso and mazatrol, it depends on what I am doing. My tool descriptions are correct for endmills, but it still will not probe them. We use a lot of standard tooling, so I may write a program which takes the tool to the correct position for semi-auto, then probes the tool, this way I can list all my tools in the program and just run it. I will see if this works. Thanks.

So does it stop in mid cycle or do you get any other alarms when you're trying to set the endmills?

Oh, and a couple other things . ... If you're using Tool Life, make sure it's not "OVER",... if you have a tool set for "HEAVY" it will not Auto Measure (I don't think), you may have a conflict with unregistered tools in the tool library, Interference isn't set to "ORDINARY", ...

A couple parameters will stop you too... So, when you auto measure are you doing this in a program or the actual AUTO Measure function for simple tool setting? L95 and L96 might play a role in this....

As to the useage of auto tool measure it can only be done with endmills, spot drills, ball end mills, drills, reamers, and taps. All other types of tools must be measured in manual tool measure. There is a parameter for an endmill to not be allowed to measure in auto mode. Im not sure which one Im guessing it is a machine parameter not a user parameter. I ran into this problem with a new machne that was installed, but mazak was still there and they changed it without looking in the book. I would just call the mazak tech support line at 1-800-231-1456.

Auto tool setting

Mazak machines come standard with a basic plunger type tool length setter that runs two proximity switches. The mazatrol software will only autoset what is refered to as point tools, ie, taps, drills and ball end mills. The reason for this is that the position set in the parameters to plunge is on the center line of the spindle. If you were to try and auto set say a 63dia endmill that had 5 tips the plunger would be struck by the body of the cutter not the tips. This would result in an incorrect length setting. This is why the semi-auto buton exists so you can manualy position a cutting tip above the plunger.

However you can order your Mazak with a Renishaw tool setter and this will measure length as well as diameter. We have a Variaxis with this option.

I found the parameter

Parameter R2101 bit 7 is the one to turn on the ability to use the toolsetter for endmills. You might want to double check that to be sure it is the same on your machine. The R parameters are listed in the electrical diagram book not the parameter book.

Re: I found the parameter

Quote Originally Posted by bildoo View Post
    Parameter R2101 bit 7 is the one to turn on the ability to use the toolsetter for endmills. You might want to double check that to be sure it is the same on your machine. The R parameters are listed in the electrical diagram book not the parameter book.

I friend, How can I edit this parameters? I need to edit it, please could you help me.