584,833 active members*
5,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle Manual Mode

Hi,
    I'm just getting my new Tormach set up. It is on the deluxe stand and connected to power. I don't have the computer yet, but according to the book the spindle should turn in manual mode.

When I hit the spindle start toggle switch I hear what sounds like a relay click and a fan running but no spindle turning. I have tried the speed control knob in various positions. The Machine power light is not illuminated either.

Is this normal operation?

Len

no computer

my computer is connected via parallel but not on:Main Power on, e-stop out, press green button, spindle lockout key clockwise, spindle in manual mode, press spindle start and it works. I don't know if having the parallel cable plugged in makes a difference.

Thanks, I will keep playing with it.

Len

Manual mode spindle

Make sure the spindle access door is closed and the spindle disable keyswitch is in the enable position.

Greg

Thanks Greg,

The spindle drive door is tightly latched and the lockout key switch is on. The main power switch on the right side of the box is on, the Auto/Manual rocker is on manual, the E-Stop knob is released and the green power button is pressed. The spindle start rocker still has no effect.

However, I guess it's pointless to try to run the machine without computer control so I will wait until the computer arrives.

Regards,
    Len <><

i had what sounds like the same problem. the vfd was changed out twice before it was fixed. i'd give tormach a call and see if they can help trouble-shoot it so you have it running when you do get your computer. they are very helpful.

Problem resolved

My spindle now turns.

Tormach's technical department helped me work through the problem. They even sent me a replacement control board to try. It turned out there was a cable inside the cabinet that was not connected.

WOW- What you are saying is that nobody even test ran the spindle before shipping the machine. Sending out a control board first sounds like the diagnostic skills you would find at some car dealership.

I was impressed by Tormach's willingness to help me solve this. I always received a reply quickly to my e-mails.

The first thing that I was told to do was to check for loose connections. I guess the hanging ribbon cable was too obvious. Due to my ignorance I just assumed it was for future expansion to the 4th axis or something. I didn't even notice the empty connector on the inside of the door.

Go Tormach!

Mazak,
    Did sound a bit harsh I guess- when he said the cable was not connected I concluded that it meant "never connected", and therefore would have been discovered during a test. A better choice of words would have been " it came loose" . It also sounded like they just shipped off a new board without going through the basics of checking the connections, but apparently they did that and the owner just failed to see the obvious.