585,722 active members*
4,211 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Employment Opportunity / RFQ (Request for Quote). > Employment Opportunity > Senior CNC Machinist / Machine Shop Manager (Central Coast, CA)

Senior CNC Machinist / Machine Shop Manager (Central Coast, CA)

We are currently recruiting for a Machine Shop Manager to join one of our clients who specializes in High-Efficiency aerodynamic fans.

Job Requirements:

Required Skills
    • At least 5 years of experience in the production of high precision parts.
    • Ability to work in a dynamic environment with teams from engineering, production and sourcing.
    • Ability to translate CAD models and print drawings into machining strategies for precision part production.
    • Experience in using CAM and tool path verification software
    • Familiarity with both Fanuc and Heidenhain controls
    • Experience in designing and using fixturing to support part production
    • Experience in determining optimal machining feeds and speeds for Aluminum and Stainless steel machining operations
    • Experience in machine set up procedures.
    • Experience in tool selection for aluminum and stainless steel part production
    • Ability to track work orders and support the company’s quality system requirements.
    • Ability to train, supervise and manage machine operators

Other Desired Skills/Experience/Attributes

• Programming both lathe and 5 axis machines using Pro-E CAD, Mastercam, Maxx5 and CAMplete software tools.
    • 5 axis mill set up and machining experience
    • Experience in machine shop management
    • Experience in prototype production processes
    • Aggressive problem solver
    • Willingness to operate machines and perform basic maintenance of the shop as needed
    • Willingness to embrace and manage changing requirements
    • Can-do attitude

Volt Workforce Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

PAY DOE

To apply, forward your resume to [email protected] today!

Willingness to operate machines and perform basic maintenance of the shop as needed

What kind of shop is this that you want someone to do all the CAD+CAM manage the place pretty much and then go out on the floor and put a new blade on the bandsaw. Or crawl up in the attic and change the filters on the AC.

budP

Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by budP View Post
    Willingness to operate machines and perform basic maintenance of the shop as needed

What kind of shop is this that you want someone to do all the CAD+CAM manage the place pretty much and then go out on the floor and put a new blade on the bandsaw. Or crawl up in the attic and change the filters on the AC.

budP
    Hello budP,

The client is seeking someone who's not afraid to get their hands dirty and is ready to 'own the job' and serve as a Machine Shop Manager. Having a willingness to jump in as needed as well as a full comprehensive knowledge and experience with CNC 5 axis machinery is key.

Regards,

CA_CNCRecruiter

A lot of info on requirements. How about benifits
    Bill

Benefits....

WCopley...

This position is on hold for now but I am seeking candidates with relevant experience to work here on the Central Coast with our clients.

Warm regards,

~CA_CNCRecruiter

Lightbulb

Well unless paid benefits are part of it.
    A reasonable salary are part of it.
    A company that wants to progress and move forward and understand lean are part of it.
    A company with newer equipment investing in technology are part of it.

You might have a hard task in front of you.

It is always great for someone willing to get their hands dirty. Problem you run into is if they have to always be out there getting their hands dirty that means they do not have much a support staff behind them and can not get their own job done. True leadership is by example and if at is the point someone has to go do it all the time. How good are they going to be as a boss??? I see to many times where people want's someone to be hands on, because they will not let problem employees go because they have been with a company to long. Then the problem the new boss is going to have is that they will be undermined by these same people and supported by people above that person.

Staffing companies are all the same you go out and get what your customers tell you they want, but how many go into a company and see what they need or even understand fully what they need???

Full knowledge of 5 axis huh. I have been doing this over 20 years and have a good knowledge of 5 axis and I am not cheap, but every machine is different and not listing equipment tells me one of two things either they are using 20 years old equipment or they are using cheap 5 axis equipment. Any shop that is a good 5 axis shop looking for someone to run it wants their equipment listed, becuase the equipment will do as much to attract the right person as the place will.

Good luck in your search, but people who know what they are doing do not want fly by night places, they want professional places willing to put up what equipment they have and what benefits they are offering. This must be provided if companies are not going to share any information about their equipment or benefits they impress no one in my humble opinion.

Response to CrazyThunder

Dear Crazythunder,

I appreciate your insight. You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned 'not cheap'. Finding someone who's willing to go the extra mile and be a true team player is no easy task. Even in the staffing industry, if you're the head honcho...you still need to have that willingness to pick up the trash, answer the phones, and everything in-between from the TOP down. Machining and working in a CNC position is no different.

Much success to you and yours.

Regards,

~CA_CNCRecruiter

5 AXIS?????

AAAAAAMMMEENN CrazyThunder.

I own a small engineering and manufacturing company (for 11 years) and I have had many types of employees, the excellent, the good, the fair and the poor. After reading this post I felt the need to put in my 2 cents.

I think the work ethic in this trade is really sad now. Of course not all people but far too many. What happened to the days when it was the employee that held the responsibility to PROVE there worth to the company? After reading a few replies to this post it reminded me a few people I have interviewed over the last several years. Within the 5-minutes of the interview all they wanted to know was “what’s in it for me”. I need to state: If you want to be treated like a professional and be compensated accordingly, then be prepared to conduct yourself like a professional and understand that compensation comes in many forms and dollars are not all. Also, just because you are a machinist, be prepared to dress appropriate for the interview, jeans and sneakers are not acceptable. You do not need a 3 piece suit but a pair of slacks, shoes, and a button down shirt would at least show you care about the job. I own the company I am willing to do any job including taking out the garbage (and I do), so why should I not expect the same from my staff?

My company has always paid our people very well and often above the average in our area. I feel in many ways a large portion of the people in this trade really need to look at their attitude toward working in a team environment and realize that if their efforts do not benefit the company then there will be no room for them to grow and have increased compensation.

This job posting may have paid $100K per year, but I am sure the job won’t be awarded to the posters with the “what’s in it for me” attitude.

For the many talented, hardworking and professional machinists, my apologies for this post was not direct to you.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-AMT-NY View Post
    I own a small engineering and manufacturing company (for 11 years) and I have had many types of employees, the excellent, the good, the fair and the poor. After reading this post I felt the need to put in my 2 cents.

I think the work ethic in this trade is really sad now. Of course not all people but far too many. What happened to the days when it was the employee that held the responsibility to PROVE there worth to the company? After reading a few replies to this post it reminded me a few people I have interviewed over the last several years. Within the 5-minutes of the interview all they wanted to know was “what’s in it for me”. I need to state: If you want to be treated like a professional and be compensated accordingly, then be prepared to conduct yourself like a professional and understand that compensation comes in many forms and dollars are not all. Also, just because you are a machinist, be prepared to dress appropriate for the interview, jeans and sneakers are not acceptable. You do not need a 3 piece suit but a pair of slacks, shoes, and a button down shirt would at least show you care about the job. I own the company I am willing to do any job including taking out the garbage (and I do), so why should I not expect the same from my staff?

My company has always paid our people very well and often above the average in our area. I feel in many ways a large portion of the people in this trade really need to look at their attitude toward working in a team environment and realize that if their efforts do not benefit the company then there will be no room for them to grow and have increased compensation.

This job posting may have paid $100K per year, but I am sure the job won’t be awarded to the posters with the “what’s in it for me” attitude.

For the many talented, hardworking and professional machinists, my apologies for this post was not direct to you.

Thanks for your input. I am sure glad you would not hire someone like me. I have been doing what he was asking and can proove that but saying this is what I want and not offering any type of info on benifits is not going to get me to apply, as for attitude yep got one worked for a few aholes over the years

working in a team environment
    A interesting statement.
    You seem to think that others would buy the TEAM crap, I know and so do you that management is the team and the employees are part of the equipment, I also dont buy the hundredthousand dollar crap either.

budP

As an owner, I have to agree with Dave. This is not about getting a hand-out. In my shop you make what you make based on your ability, your willingness to learn, and attitude. There are no "lone wolves" here, nor will there ever be. Management works along side production people, they are LEADERS, and mentors. People who are hired here tend to stay, unless I tell them to leave. They don't WANT to leave, whether for more money, more benefits, or more time off. They are the main part of the process, I have great respect for them, and they also do for me.

The people here ARE part of a team. We all work together to achieve a common goal. It sounds to me like some of you haven't worked in the right kind of shop before. Its really your loss.............