585,894 active members*
4,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Memory alarm on Mori seiki lathe

I'm working with a Mori Seiki Lathe and I have next message, can some body help me to figure out the problem is..?
    310 APC ALARM : X AXIS NEED ZRN
    320 APC ALARM : Z AXIS NEED ZRN
    340 APC ALARM : 4 AXIS NEED ZRN
    317 APC ALARM : X AXIS BATTERY DOWN 1
    327 APC ALARM : Z AXIS BATTERY DOWN 1
    347 APC ALARM : 4 AXIS BATTERY DOWN 1
    350 APC ALARM : 5 AXIS NEED ZRN
    360 APC ALARM : 6 AXIS NEED ZRN
    357 APC ALARM : 5 AXIS BATTERY DOWN 1
    367 APC ALARM : 6 AXIS BATTERY DOWN 1

Thanks

Dead Battery

Looks like you have a dead battery, maybe two.
    These will have to be replaced and then all axis will need zero returned.

Can you do a zero return now?
    Find it, fix it, and leave it alone. But make sure you find it, make sure you fix it, before you leave it alone.

mori seiki issue

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dug View Post
    Looks like you have a dead battery, maybe two.
    These will have to be replaced and then all axis will need zero returned.

Can you do a zero return now?

Thanks Dr. Dug, I checked the battery and there's only one. it's ok. 3.2 v. Can u tell me how to return to zero, please..! It's a Mori Seiki SL 15DS

word of caution. i'm sure you already know this, but just in case you don't. DO NOT change the Battery while the machine is off. you will lose all your parameters. just information.

APC alarm

hey

first change the battery in machine on condition. Don't change inpower ioff condition. data will be lost.

After changing the battery switch on the machine.
    check the machine status.Then in jog/handle mode move the axis to reference position and make parameter 1815.4 - APZ parameter as 1. this makes reference position establisset in each axis.

Try this for each axis and set reference position.

Please note that Parameter 1815 there is APC and APZ.

#1815.5 APC - Position detection is absolute pulse coder
    # 1815.4 APZ - Referecne position of Absolute pulse coder established.

Mori seiki memory issue

thanks gowthu, i really appreciate it.
    two questions..!
    If the battery life was ended for a long time and parameters were lost, how can I do to copy those parameters from another Mori seiki similar lathe..?

Second is, what is the reference position, shoudl i find it or should I need to know that reference is on manual..??

Quote Originally Posted by gowthu View Post
    hey

first change the battery in machine on condition. Don't change inpower ioff condition. data will be lost.

After changing the battery switch on the machine.
    check the machine status.Then in jog/handle mode move the axis to reference position and make parameter 1815.4 - APZ parameter as 1. this makes reference position establisset in each axis.

Try this for each axis and set reference position.

Please note that Parameter 1815 there is APC and APZ.

#1815.5 APC - Position detection is absolute pulse coder
    # 1815.4 APZ - Referecne position of Absolute pulse coder established.

Hi,

If u lost the parameters , then u have to reload it either by the hard copy(manually) or soft copy. If u dont have both for this machine then u have to load the parameters of identical machine.

Refernce position is the position where machine travel is referenced.
    For dogless reference, u have to move the machine to its full traverse distance leaving a 10mm to 15mm clearance to the end of the slide and make #1815.4 as 1. u try this to X,Z axis.

for 4,5,6 axis i dont know how to move the axis to reference.

Mori Seiki Alarm

Thanks gowth.
    Do u know where I can find the software and tools to download the parameters from one Mori lathe to another and to save those parameters..?
    Do you know how to record parameters at the lathe..?

Quote Originally Posted by gowthu View Post
    Hi,

If u lost the parameters , then u have to reload it either by the hard copy(manually) or soft copy. If u dont have both for this machine then u have to load the parameters of identical machine.

Refernce position is the position where machine travel is referenced.
    For dogless reference, u have to move the machine to its full traverse distance leaving a 10mm to 15mm clearance to the end of the slide and make #1815.4 as 1. u try this to X,Z axis.

for 4,5,6 axis i dont know how to move the axis to reference.

power feeds help

Does somebody have the electrical diagram of power feed brand seco electronic serial # 243275. Something happen on the control, so I need the electricalsquematic..? thanks

FADAL help

I have problems with temperature at the spindle of the CNC machine. A new FADAL machine have a cooling spindle system. Does somebody knows if the cooling system can work with older spindle..? thanks

FADAL Help

I have a 4020 CNC Fadal. The spindle is stoped because the temperature. I have another 4020 with a cooling system.
    Does somebody knows if I can use the same cooling system at the old version spindle..?
    Thanks

Your machine must have absolute encoders to get those alarms. There is a procedure in the Mori maintenance manual that involves lining up plates with arrows on them (usually red arrows).

There should also be a battery on the alpha drives (which sounds like the one you checked). This battery is for the absolute encoder. There is also a set of batteries usually installed in a black box held closed by 2 flat head screws mounted on the electrical cabinet door. These batteries ("d" cell) are for the system memory (parameters, tool offsets, part programs, etc.). Do not remove either battery with the power off.

If you need more info on the zero return procedure for absolute encoders, get back to me. Although, the fact that you have alarms on Axes 4, 5, and 6 suggests that you lost system memory.

Mori - Zero Return

On the Mori machines with the "Red Arrows" here is how to zero return.

Turn on the machine with P and Can buttons both pressed in while the machine boots. (This ignores SoftOvertravel limits - Be careful as you can run into the hardstops) This allows you to handwheel.
    Handwheel the machine to within one ballscrew pitch of the arrows, but do not align the arrows... just short. Then zero return. This will pick up the grid shift values and set 1815 APZ bit.

If the APZ bit is already set you must set it to a zero the perform the above.

You can punch out the parameters from the PARA screens (Opt) softkey.

If you call Mori Seiki tech support they have all the parameters from all machines. They will want Model and Serial Number. I was a service guy for them for several years. Call Irving TX. Talk to Frank or Chris. Tell them I said "Hi".
    Find it, fix it, and leave it alone. But make sure you find it, make sure you fix it, before you leave it alone.

You did not loose parameters or memory. You lost the backup batteries for the absolute encoders. A normal 2 axis machine is not too hard to do, but you obviously have more than two axis to deal with. I strongly recommend you call in someone who has done this before on a multi axis lathe. Looks like from the description you have live tools on that machine. If you get this wrong it may cost you a live tool holder, and the drive pinion, and possibly a belt. It should only take about an hour to do.

Oh, and if the machine is the older type with the 6V lithium batteries, you may want to order the Fanuc D cell holders and put those in. I did a whole bunch of them in this area in the past, a little more up front but a lot cheaper down the road.