585,975 active members*
4,882 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stainless Prices

Do any of you buy full lengths stainless in solid or tubing? The price gougers are out there in full force, and I find that 12' of 3 3/4" round 316 , can run anywhere from $1,300 to $3,000 depending on where you get it.

I have a customer that tells me they get a specific part for $14. Which I find hard to believe when there's over 30min in machine time. The cost of the material runs about $16. I have begun to suspect that this part is made in china.

Who in the US has the best stainless prices? I use Central Steel & Wire or EMJ normally.

What are your thoughts on this?
    "Plan your work; Work your plan"

All you can do is shop around to the big SS suppliers for the best price and work with what you can get.
    There are a lot of backyard shops out there working for pennies on the dollar. Once they wear out their machines and have no money to replace them they will go out of business. Only other problem is that every day 2 more people open up a cut-rate machining business. Focus on specialty jobs and the best possible service you can give to your local customers and they will always come back.

You have to grin and bear it and look to good paying customers for your work.

They economy is slow, so production work is cut throat.
    Time sensitive work and break downs is good money but keeping a shop busy waiting for this type of work is challenging.

Good luck.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

There are a lot of parts being made in China where they claim 304 or 316SS and their definition of "stainless" falls below our definition and requirements.

Best bet is pass on that customer. Don't cut your throat for work, you'll be too busy working for not enough money to find good customers who will pay for quality work.

MC