584,842 active members*
4,471 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Emco VMC100 rebuild

I have an Emco VMC100 cnc mill which has a control cabinet that will not switch on at all . Has anyone managed to convert one of these machines using MACH3 . If so have they managed to workout how to control the spindle speed and also the 10 station tool carousel ?

Thanks in advance .

whats type is the spindle motor? , not heard of vmc100 conversion yet but i know of two pcmill50's converted, one a close buddy. you can use an inverter for the spindle controlled via its analgue volts input in (if its a 3ph motor) controlled via a spindle speed control card, which itself takes the step and dir signals from mach and convert it into volts etc / 0-10vdc, you follow that?. its just a matter then of plugging in stepper drives & motors / power supplies to your interface card / breakout board. im doing one right now for a spindle, although on a lathe the principle is similar, down south.

i'm not sure about the toolchanger, i imagine that would need control via modbus and serial port etc for the extra I/O's needed?. your limited with inputs from a parrallel port interface. do you need any inputs for a toolchanger?
    and maybe some custom macros to drive through modbus, somebody else might have done so?

update

at the moment I am not sure about the spindle motor or anything else at the mo. I will take some pictures and post them tomorrow evening. I also have the parts manual so I can hopefully glean some more info from them. I responded to another post for someone else but they have not responded yet. If you do a search you will see my reply to the toolchanger sequence. Thanks for the quick response.

Photos

Finally got a camera to take a couple of photos .I can't see the spindle motor at the mo because all the guarding is on . The motor on top though is the Z axis stepper .
    Hope the photos help .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0112.jpg   IMG_0113.jpg   IMG_0111.jpg   IMG_0110.jpg  

IMG_0109.jpg   IMG_0108.jpg  

Re: Emco VMC100 rebuild

Did You figure out the way of spindle speed control?