584,849 active members*
4,363 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 3M DNC operation

Hi,

we recently acquired a kitamura machining center with a Fanuc 3M model C controller. I'm presently trying to configure it to be able to do DNC operation but the only way i could find was the upgrade offered by www.memex.ca.

Can any1 tell me if there's any other way of doing this?

From what i understand, Fanuc 0M and Fanuc 6M can do DNC, what's up with Fanuc 3M?

thx,

Max

The fanuc3 can only load the memory and run from memory. CNC inovations has a setup for sequencing long files by using modified keyboard. The software will load the memory, then auto erase then download the next part of the file and will start cycle. I have done this on a molding machine. One file was .89mb long.
    Bill
    William Timm Computers installing DNC ands BTRs since 1979

Fanuc 3M DNC drip feeding is possible.

Fanuc 3M controls can be upgraded for DNC control. Our machine had the upgrade which took twenty minutes. Eight chips on the main/mother board were changed for a new set. The chips were in sockets and so no soldering was required. In a nutshell, we now have a machine that can be drip fed any size program for 3D machining. The only parameters that were changed were the baud rates (4800 maximum). It saved us the cost of paying for a retrofit or a new machine.
    We first asked Fanuc for help but they told us to buy a new machine!!!!
    If you wish then contact me for further upgrade details, but suffice to say we have had no regrets.
    [email protected] (no sales offers please).

DNC (drip feed) for your Fanuc 3M can now be had for US$370 from:

fanuc3mdripfeed.com

But for that "half price" they expect you to send them your parameter and diagnostic data for their "3M Data Project". As you should have this data stored anyway it should be a matter of one email. They don't even mind the format its sent (data files or just pictures of your screen).

If you are serious about the upgrade you should check out their site as it holds all the information needed for this DNC upgrade (which is surprisingly simple). Each chip comes inserted in its own socket which prevents broken pins etc.

There is one alarming fact they point out on the front page: the original EPROM control chips from Fanuc start to lose their "memory" after about 2 decades. This means any 3M control that is not upgraded literally has a "Time Bomb" on it waiting to blow up the board, scramble the parameters/diagnostics, and crash the machine. Fanuc no doubt has made a lot of money out of this over the years. Be warned!

(I came back to update my last post after regular requests over the years about Fanuc 3M DNC upgrades. Our fanuc3mdripfeed.com upgrade hasn't had a single hic-up and our intermittent fault never returned. We also no longer worry about that "Time Bomb" on every 3M motherboard I mentioned above).