585,665 active members*
3,865 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > 2.5D first parts and hints

2.5D first parts and hints

Hi,

I ran my first parts on Madcam, and was very happy with the results. See pics below:

A couple of real time savers that I learned:

- Use the rhino trim function to create part tabs (profile milling along curve). When creating your part, draw a rectangle over the contour path to create your tab. Then trim the contour path. When creating the machine paths, omit the trimmed curve on the last z level. See pic below.

- To panelize multiple parts, you can simply cut n paste as many as you want. Madcam pastes the new functions into the same layer. So the tool sequence is preserved properly. All tools changes will work out (ie first tool makes all cuts to multiple images).

HTH,
    Eric

looks good.

Setting the start point of part cutting...

I have since found out another helpful item. Sometimes you want to define where to start cutting a part. If you are outline milling along a closed single curve, break the curve (trim) into two segments (two halves). Then MADCAM will will start at the intersection where you placed the trim function.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by etzz View Post
    Hi,

I ran my first parts on Madcam, and was very happy with the results. See pics below:

A couple of real time savers that I learned:

- Use the rhino trim function to create part tabs (profile milling along curve). When creating your part, draw a rectangle over the contour path to create your tab. Then trim the contour path. When creating the machine paths, omit the trimmed curve on the last z level. See pic below.

- To panelize multiple parts, you can simply cut n paste as many as you want. Madcam pastes the new functions into the same layer. So the tool sequence is preserved properly. All tools changes will work out (ie first tool makes all cuts to multiple images).

HTH,
    Eric

Hi Eric,

I apologize for not having been here much, but as I have explained in some other threads, my wife has been under going chemo treatments since June, and that has been my priority.

Another option for holding the parts in place is to use the skin function in your 2d tool path strategy. Joakim added this function due to the request of another user who cut sheet goods and needed a way to hold them until the last pass of .020". I have personally used this function on lots of mdf parts that are veneered. Cut to the bottom veneer then let the skin pass cut thru.

I don't know if parts as small as what you have shown will hold or not, but again, just another way!

If you have learned anything new, let us know.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Hi,
    How does the "skin" function differ from cutting down towards the bottom of the part but leaving 0.020 on the bottom? I don't really understand the function.
    0.020 would certainly hold the parts in place, but the purpose of the tabs are to minimize the amount of material that has to be cut to remove the part from the stock.
    The tabs themselves are not much more than 0.020 thick.
    Thanks,
    Eric

Hi Eric,

The skin function, when called, will leave a thin amount of material, user defined, at the bottom of the part. There is an additional function call cut through that will make a last pass that will cut that last .020 plus whatever the user sets as the cut through. On larger parts this last cut will move the part, even without vacuum. I have cut several hundred taxidermy mount boards from veneered mdf using these two strategies, and have never had a mishap.

In essence, this automates what you did with the tabs only with a full tab!

BTW I have ask Joakim to work on a tabs function that will work automatically as well, but currently he is concentrating on continous 4/5 axis function, and will hopefully make a release before the first of the year.

Mike

Any news on the new release as far as date and new features?
    Thanks,
    Eric

Hi Eric,

That's odd. I posted a reply to you yesterday and it still hasn't showed up.

There are two beta testers here in the US testing now, and I have no idea how many in Europe. All I can tell you is to check the madcam site unless you have auto notification active in your current madcam.

Mike

Resurect

Can anyone elaborate on the operations needed to make tabs in a profile path.
    I understand how to draw a closed curve and split another curve.
    My problem is that the profile paths are grouped and in order to split them I have to ungroup them.
    Does MADCAM require the grouping? Can the grouping be undone and then redone (which is what I tried)?
    When I try it I don't get anything in the simulator. If I don't try anything then the profile works in the simulator.