584,826 active members*
5,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sanyo P5 1000w Servos

Has anyone had success running the Sanyo P5 1000w servos that where from surplus center. I have some of these and would like to use them on my dovetail mill. Please share your setup. Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes, I had successfully run one of those servos using VSD-A drive http://granitedevices.fi/index.php?id=8 but unfortunately this drive is not produced any more.

I used Mach3 as CNC controller. http://www.machsupport.com/
    Breakout board from cnc4pc (C1 - Parallel Port Interface Card) http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/prod...products_id=47.
    As for the power supply the cheapest option I found was to modify a power tool step down (220V to 110V) transformer similar to the one pictured here: http://www.handyhardware.ie/ToolsDIY...VA-Symbol.aspx After rectification I got 160VDC out.

Darik,
    Thanks for the information. I am currently using Mach 3 on a different machine and familiar with it. Do you know if any of the newer Granite drives would work?

Tim

Well, I think Xerxes should answer this question.
    There are plans for 160VDC version of VSD-E and I think this drive should work although you won't be able to run the motors at full speed at that voltage.

Xerxes, when is the 160VDC version to be expected as I have also 4 motors sitting around?

darik, Do you have the wiring diagram for these motors and spec sheet.

Tim

Yes, the VSD-E can do everything that VSD-A does and more, so it works fine with 1kW P5 motor. Darik is right about the plan for 160VDC version. If everything goes well, they could be available as soon as in the next production batch (optimistic estimate).

I attached P5 spec sheet that I found.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello Xerxes,
    Good day. I am happy to hear for 160 vdc 40 amp VSDE since I may use one in the future for my big mill. But I do not know where to buy big servo motor in the market to work with it. I browse ebay, no such big motor. Kelling or homeshop do not sell big motor. Can you show me any website that sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Hello Xerxes,
    Good day. I am happy to hear for 160 vdc 40 amp VSDE since I may use one in the future for my big mill. But I do not know where to buy big servo motor in the market to work with it. I browse ebay, no such big motor. Kelling or homeshop do not sell big motor. Can you show me any website that sell it.
    You may find good larger motors from eBay with bit luck. There are plenty of servo manufacturers where you might find suitable motors (such as SEM http://www.sem.co.uk/).

BTW, 160VDC veresion doesn't output 40A. Current limits will be determined soon.

Sanyo P5 1000w

Hi everyone!

I am just learning about motion... Does anyone knows if I can connect the Sanyo P5 1000w to the Allen Bradley Ultra 100 (1398-DDM-009) Drive?

AC Input: 100-240 Single Phase - 5A(Rated) 15A(Peak)

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've run lots of different motors with AB 2098-dsd-xxx (Ultra3000) drives with no issues. The Ultra3000 drives can be setup using Ultraware and they autotune to the motor and whatnot. Its really easy to setup. If you can use Ultraware on your drives, I don't think you would have any problems getting them to run. Also you need to make sure the drive accepts the type of drive signal your controller puts out (most likely step/dir from mach3 or similar.

If you already have the motor and the drive, hook them up and give it a shot.

Matt

Sanyo P5 1000w

Thanks a lot Matt!

The Sanyo P5 1000W P50B08100VCL69 (see attached) that I want to buy is really strange, it only has 3 or 4 wire on the encoder plug, and the encoder (or a resolver?) is a bulge located at the back of the motor unlike any other motors I've seen so far. That's probably why is such a good deal...

I also spent hours on the net looking for P50B08100VCL69 wiring diagrams with no results... Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Luiz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sanyo P5.jpg   Sanyo P5b.jpg  

While not the majority, lots of servos have the little round housing at the back, instead of the larger cover that matches the motor size.

Bare minimum wiring for a conventional resolver is 6 wires. Basic encoder would be 4 wires. Any encoder of an industrial quality would have at least 6 or 8 wires.

It could also be some kind of tachometer or an encoder with serial output. If the motor is cheap, it might be worth buying and you can put an encoder onit that will fit your application. You can find a nice industrial quality encoder from Renco for $100 or less.

Matt

Sanyo P5 1000w

I will try to remove a encoder from one of a few broken Allen Bradley motors (N-2304 series) and install it on the Sanyo P5 if I get brave enough and to buy it... Or maybe it will work as it is!

Luiz

Quote Originally Posted by LantonioA View Post
    The Sanyo P5 1000W P50B08100VCL69 (see attached) that I want to buy is really strange, it only has 3 or 4 wire on the encoder plug, and the encoder (or a resolver?) is a bulge located at the back of the motor unlike any other motors I've seen so far. That's probably why is such a good deal...
    That could be one of the serial encoders. I have several with the Kawasaki version of that (M21 encoders). They are small diameter (say about 1 1/2 inches) and only have four wires out (VCC, GND, Serial+, Serial -). Nice encoders, but the real pain in the tail is decoding the serial stream as it includes not only position (absolute position in the case of the M21), but also status and error information. Needless to say, the manufacturers usually are not too quick to release the details of the serial communications protocol.
    --RRRoamer