585,568 active members*
3,611 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser Printer Servos

I have access to a large number of free (as in beer) laser printers. I am looking at making a small (26in x 30in) 3-axis router for myself, and I was curious if the servos from said laser printers tend to be powerful enough to drive a router which would be used for etching and cutting Plastics (like Acrylic, Delrin, Poly-Carb)? Thanks in advance!
    JavaDog

I just wanted to add, they are large machines like old HP Laserjet 8100s or Laserjet 5si. So, not low-end or small printers by any means. Not sure if that will make a difference.
    Thanks again!

Get 'em and gouge 'em! Rails. print head mounts can make a linear table, certainly the steppers are a GREAT find. There are always gears and belts to keep to and maybe you can incorporate the whole mess into a slightly smaller machine. Power supply and even a few LEDs that you can use for other jobs. You may wind up trashing the plastic bits and a buncha tin - but dive in! :cheers: Jim
    PS are they really "servos" - with encoders and all - or just steppers?
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

I was wondering a similar thing about HP injets, they have servos and linear encoders. I bet a really neat little engraver could be made using those, if a suitably cheap servo drive could be produced.

Well, I guess I will grab some of them then! (much to the little ladies dismay!).

Not sure if they are Servos or just Steppers, but I will find out. One machine has a Duplex Unit which sould be a wealth of gears - and maybe servos too. I will take pictures of the take-apart and anything good I find.

I am pretty sure I can get some wide-carriage industrial Line-Printers for free too. I KNOW they have good rails and motors too...

JavaDog - don't forget the possibility of converting a printer to a VinylCutter. Its always nice to have a "sticker maker" around. There are a few on the web that have done that - majosoft's site comes to mind.
    When Dumpster Diving always watch your "down time" and surface slowly! :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by High Seas
    JavaDog - don't forget the possibility of converting a printer to a VinylCutter. Its always nice to have a "sticker maker" around. There are a few on the web that have done that - majosoft's site comes to mind.
    When Dumpster Diving always watch your "down time" and surface slowly! :cheers: Jim

Wait just a minute! Are you talking a laser printer or a dot-matrix/line printer for a vinyl cutter conversion? I have had a business idea that I have been holding off on because of the cost of sending out to have stickers made. I am certainly going to have to look into this too!

I still plan on making a 3-axis router, since my plexi work will greatly benefit from it.

Combine the two ideas: a vinyl cutter and plexi carver and you've got the ability to make some neat stuff.....Next you'll be looking for a thermforming vacuum setup to push sign making, and point of purchase display manufacture...Oh no wait thats me thinkinng that.......

My thought was leaning toward using a multiple platten/roller frame to feed the vinyl - rather than a flatbed cutting machine - BUT I have had good results using my flatbed set up and a cutter made by a fellow (at agreat price)! It made me think of making a printer "conversion" with a solenoid or something to drive the cutter down - and run the vinyl back and forth like the "old" dot matrix days!

A Plexi-Carver would lean toward more "conventional 3 axis work - right lurch---- the vac-formiong on a separate work station I suppose - eh?
    :cheers: - jim

Besides, I already have a small homemade 12" x 12" vacuum forming machine.

It's the prospect of a CNC 3-Axis router that I am really excited about though!