585,917 active members*
3,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hurco Hawk 5D

Hello,

In the next day or two I will more than likely be handing over the credit card details in order to purchase a second hand Hurco Hawk 5D with Hurco Delta CNC - 3 axis controller.

This is a big step for my part time machine shop from a manual asian mill and manual lathes. Thought the mill should aid in running small ( 5 - 10 pieces) production runs and maybe allow me to do a few things not possible with a manual machine as easily.Not without a large learning curve though ...

I am completely new to CNC and this second hand mill. I am not new to machining. I have searched high and low for any web based resource for the machine with little to show for it. But the condition of the mill seems very good, and I may have managed to get a "proper" cnc mill within my budget. I think of it as taking a small tentative step towards being able to work with the low end of the industrial strength machinery.

The budget was very tight so that leaves me with a lot of learning to do.

With my budget you have to accept certain things you would prefer not to. Ie no manuals etc etc. My own lack of CNC knowledge doesn't help. The purchase is a bit of a fingers crossed affair. Again budget. I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

So some questions, ( perhaps naive. apols in advance)

1) Basic floor plan for this machine? Need to work out how big a space I need to clear for this machine and its travels?

2) Any resouce for mill or controller manuals?

3) Not too much idea what ths controller can do. Assuming 2 / 2.5D with an outside CAD \CAM program to create G code?

4) Assuming "Delta CNC" control will not cope with a 4 axis. Assuming I would have to retrofit control if I want 4th axis? Any one done this? Worth it or forget it?

Just trying to gather as much info on this mill as I can. My own attempts at home work didn't turn up much apart from the fact people thought the iron was good and the conversational cnc was easy to use. which combined with the price made the purchase descision.

Many thanks in advance for any / all enlightenment.

Best Regards,

Simon

I sell a manual check on this forum down lower. It will work for your machine. $70.00 USD. I also do on site training if needed. send me a pm or just wright back to this post and my email will pick up on it.
    Jetski (alias Tooling and Engineering Czar)
    "I may not have the keys to success.. but I have learned to pick the locks"

hi simon,
    the machine your looking is it in a dealer . if so its beenthere a while and the price is a third of what it started at.if so bargain hard. watch out for the odd hurco controls such as the ultipath and dynapath as there are not many around uk and finding help is rare especially from hurco. have never seemed to of found an independant hurco service guy uk based . any one no of such let me know. also with regard to cad/cam bear in mind the post processor will be more of a hassle.

keith

Yes it was at a dealer

Keith,

yes thats the machine. Yep I noted length of time and reduced price and bargined vey hard. We agreed price and they confirmed via email. I rang up to pay them and they had sold it! A tad suspicious after it had been there approx 2 years by my reckoning!

Needless to say I was less than impressed they had sold it. No word of counter offer, nothing. I expect that someone else offered more. However I had agreed price well before this and was awaiting an invoice to pay them.

They never asked for a deposit to secure etc. I was more than happy to pay the full amount with an invoice and receipt.

As far as I was concerned that mill was mine.

OH well ;(

So I am now scouring other sources for a mill. There are some good deals to be had at the moment.

Needless to say, I'm going to be very tight-lipped until the machine is bolted to the floor of my premises!!

Thankyou all for your replies.

If the machine ends up being a hurco, no doubt i'll be back.

Best Regards,

Simon

they have had it on auction a few times and pulled it . maybe didnt make reserve who knows. are you needing 3 axis or would 2 axis do. hurcos tend to hold there price well and you wont get another at that figure. you would get an early xyz 2 axis at about 6k or maybe an anilam controlled turret for the same . an interact g code programming machine starts at about 2k.

keith