585,996 active members*
5,070 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to cut Plywood/MDF beside using saw, router ?

I wonder if there is a better way to cut sheet of plywood/MDF using laser technology ?
    or similar ?

I know there is router and saw to cut.

any new technology ?
    maybe laser ? 15mm thick MDF ? very very expensive ?
    how good is it using plasma ?

I'm trying to cut it clean ! little dust !

any website for detail product ?

cal

MDF/Plywood Cutting

Cal-

My laser will cut it with NO DUST.

Intricate cutting possible, very easy to use.

www.kernlasers.com

PM me for more details.

Derek

There's no need for "new" technologies, lasers have been used for many many years to cleanly cut wood. Even a simple 20-30W will cut wood, but you don't specify at what speed. Does edge charring matter to you? How big? All of the major manufacturers out there that can help... Epilog, Universal Laser, Xenograph, etc...
    Hi-TecDesigns.com -- Automotive Lighting Systems

thank you guys,
    well I don't need very high speed for laser MDF cutting.
    but the budget is the problem.

what's the minimum wattage required to cut that 15mm thick MDF ?
    what brand that is easy to install DIY ?
    if I want to do 3D engraving, what's the additional cost ? I meant software ?
    and I think the hardware is the same, minimum watt. but slow ... right ?

any cheap software ? I got mach3 if that help ?

I think i'm gonna change my router to laser cut, no dust !
    I saw the site 3D engraving KERN. I wonder how long to do that Fishing 3D engraving work ?

so ... for diy laser, can anyone suggest the easy way to install and type model ?
    how dangeraous is installing that laser (i'm a new to laser)

cal

Cal-

How large are your pieces of wood that you need to cut? dimensions (length x width)

All top manufacturers should come with installation details and free training(either onsite or at the factory).

A 50 watt should be able to cut 15mm no problem.... but very very slow.

Regarding 3D sofware..I am not sure about additional software costs for other manufacturers but ours comes at no extra charge and is part of the standard software that comes with each system.

The trick is being able to create the grayscale art work that will look good. There are people that create the artwork for a decent price. www.gantryco.com is one of the best out there.

The 3D little boy fishing you saw can take anywhere from 10 - 20 minutes depending on the DPI and laser wattage that you choose. Of course less DPI results in faster overall time but not as sharp image and less depth. The larger the laser the faster you can engrave as well.

Off the top of my head a 150 watt laser at 600 DPI will 3D engrave that piece at 15"/ sec and a 400 watt at 50"/sec.

Lasers are very safe as long as you wear laser safety glasses and read through the safety manual.

Hope this information helps.

If price is your issue, you are pretty well stuck with 'mechanical cutting', saw or router. Cutting with water or laser are probably your two best high-tech choices, but neither come cheap.

For the cost difference, you can put in a 'cheap method of cutting' with a 'killer' dust collection system. I haven't tried it but in addition to 'sucking up the dust', you could add some 'dust curtains' around the area of the cutting tool, and a 'blowing air supply' to try to additionally send the dust toward the 'dust collector'. But there will always be some that gets out.

Even with lasers, it is not a 'enviromental friendly' thing to do cutting MDF. At least the Epilog require an external 'dryer vent' to vent combustion gasses for WHEN the wood burns away, the exhaust gasses go 'outside' rather than 'smoke up' the building.

The guy with info on the Kern laser above, probably knows something I don't about
    no exhaust gasses, but that could also have to do with the material being cut. The Kern is a MUCH larger format than the Epilog I was looking into.