585,591 active members*
2,947 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stepper motors on all axes twitches every 2 seconds.

Hi all,

I am in a bind after having this problem cropped up. Only happened today and no clue as to what may have caused it.

Basically my stepper motors on all axes twitches every 2 seconds or so when ever I run them. The twitching is worse at higher speed. Lower speed, the twitching is still there but faint.

Can anyone advice as to what may be going on? I am using Keling motor and driver. I think this is the first time this problem occurred.

Apart from this rythmic twitching, the movement seems to be ok with no missed steps. Although I notice the torque has considerably gone down. Please help.

Alex

Arrgh! Its either Mach3 or my laptop is giving me the problem. I tested my controller and stepper on my desktop and its working just fine. Damn, I am gonna have to replace that crappy piece of #@$%. Almost gave me a nervous breakdown.

Anyway, glad I found out what was the problem.

Alex

You may have some program like virus protection or screen saver etc. interfering with Mach3.

CR.

...or the hard as hell to locate setting that seems to think, "Yes, I am a laptop regardless of whether you set me up as a desktop or not. I am still going to time out to save power because I just don't trust that power you have plugged in at the wall, I would rather trust my battery, which by the way, is getting low, so I'll hybernate now right in the middle of your 4 hour job. Yes I know it will make Mach crash and cost you an expensive router bit and chew up a couple toggle clamps, but I just can't be bothered with that right now. I'm kinda tire...........!"

Those type settings make laptops notorious trouble makers for Mach 3. That is just one of the hard to resolve issues. There are others.
    Lee

Hi guys, Thanks for the info on the laptop. I am going to have to dump that thing. Switch to my P3 desktop and be done with it. Yes I do have anti virus and stuff like that installed. Will clear them all out. Can I not just run Mach3 in a dos base environment? To be honest, I prefer that instead of windows.

Now thinking of switching to EMC2. Will try out and see. Thanks again.

Alex