585,717 active members*
3,755 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > 7x12 CNC mini lathe on ebay, should I buy?

7x12 CNC mini lathe on ebay, should I buy?

I am totally new to CNC zone. I registered because I want to get into CNC lathing, but I don't want to do the mod myself. And so many small CNC lathes are too much money. What is out there?

I found this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220279605743

Or is there an alternative? What do you all think?
    Jason

I really do not want a big lathe. I would have no space for anything bigger.
    I have seen these 7x lathes in person before, and I like the size.

In other words, I want a small lathe. Are there any other options? Something equivalent is size to a 7x that is CNC out there?

I once saw an Emco CNC lathe station. It was a 7x I believe, but it was $40k on ebay. I just don't need a large lathe. I'm not turning truck axles or anything.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason23 View Post
    I am totally new to CNC zone. I registered because I want to get into CNC lathing, but I don't want to do the mod myself. And so many small CNC lathes are too much money. What is out there?

I found this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220279605743

Or is there an alternative? What do you all think?
    Jason
    I can't believe that at that price it doesn't even have ballscrews. It seems way overpriced to me.

Alan

Is there another 7x CNC lathe I could get? What would be a good price?

That one on ebay seems pretty solid.

But I really do not have anything to compare. I need some options!

Jason

First I would suggest that you read through this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge. But to hurry up your process. You can get the lathe here http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93799
    The kit here http://www.stirlingsteele.com/latheplans.html and the electronics crap here http://www.xylotex.com/

So 410+425+499=1,334 for the exact same lathe. So if you can bolt it together you would save yourself 2,166.

Sorry he has geckos in his box you need to go here for some of the electronics www.geckodrives.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason23 View Post
    Is there another 7x CNC lathe I could get? What would be a good price?
    And there's the problem. Nothing cnc out there in that particular size for a reasonable price afaik. Keep in mind most people reading the mini-lathe forum are competent diy'ers. Given $3000+ we start sketching a machine that would kick that ebay lathe's a**

That one on ebay seems pretty solid.
    The specifications aren't very exciting. However it's a very tidy looking conversion.
    A couple of thoughts;
    That machine is a one-of-a-kind? What happens when something wears out or breaks? Judging by the sellers feedback don't expect much help.
    The core machine is still small Chinese iron. Way to much money.

edit**No video of cutting thread in the ad? Maybe the machine's thread cutting abilities are poor? I suspect so. **/end edit

But I really do not have anything to compare. I need some options!
    I can't think of anything directly size/price comparable Anyone else ??

Sherline: Built in America. Smaller machine. No threading ability.

Syil: Much much more machine for a bit more money. Not portable in any realistic way.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Regnar View Post
    First I would suggest that you read through this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge. But to hurry up your process. You can get the lathe here http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93799
    The kit here http://www.stirlingsteele.com/latheplans.html and the electronics crap here http://www.xylotex.com/

So 410+425+499=1,334 for the exact same lathe. So if you can bolt it together you would save yourself 2,166.
    The kit plans are for people who have access to a mill and related tools. If the builder needs to get pieces made at a machineshop the price goes up slightly(?). Also Jason wants to plug-in-and-go. Maybe we can convince him that building is fun? One big advantage, if you can build it you can also fix it np if the need arises.

Cncfusion has been promising bolt-on kits for a long time. Should be available soon ??

cyclestart,

It cost another 375.00 for all the machining done by the originator. The plans are 49.99 and the complete kit it 425.00 Here is his description.

"The lathe kit includes a Z axis lead screw and anti backlash nut, all machined mounting hardware for stepper motors, knobs, bearings, motor shaft couplers, collar and related machined motion control mounting hardware. A proximity sensor for the spindle, all needed screws and washers, the guard and a full set of the plans with installation instructions. The sensor, guard and Z axis motor mounting plate require holes be drilled and tapped into the lathe to be fitted."

Almost plug and play drill and tap a few holes.

I have been waiting patiently to have a look at the cncfusion kit. I have the X2 kit and it was worth every penny. Want to put the X2 to work making the lathe kit.

The one thing that I like about the Ebay lathe is that his motor mounts look beefy, I just cant see where he is coming up with price. He has maybe 200 in extra metal and then the motors and drives. Just horribly overpriced for a lathe that comes from harbor freight

Apologies Regnar. I didn't read your math carefully and thought the suggestion was to buy the plans only.

Is the seller reading this thread ? The price has now dropped. Also a threading video has been added(?), something I questioned earlier. Honestly I don't remember that video being there this morning.

btw: the videos aren't playable here atm. Maybe a browser glitch at this end.

Ok, so I read about the Steele kit. It has an anti backlash not on one axis and not the other, or so it seems.

Are anti back lash nuts necessary? I don't know if I want to pay a lot extra for a 1% improvement in parts.

Jason

Ok, reading on the forums here, back lash is a serious concern.

If I go the Steele kit route, how can I address the no anti back lash nut on the crossslide limitation to the kit?

Anyone try the Steele kit before?

The one on ebay talks about balancing the carriage by putting the motor in the rear of the lathe. Is there any real benefit there?

I bought the Steele plans, in fact, I was one of the first to get them. Very well done. I got around the problem by switching the original screw for an Acme rod (3/8" dia) and used a portion of the same rod to make a tap to thread a new nut to replace the original. Works great. Got only about .001" backlash or so

HTH

Mark
    Insanity "doing the same thing and expecting a different result"
    Mark

www.mcoates.com

Jason can I ask what are you trying to make with the lathe?

I cant tell you why they didnt put a anti backlash nut on the one axis (Im guessing it wouldnt fit or there is already some form of it there) But depending one what type of pitch is on the screw you can get some anti backlash nut from dumpstercnc.com and you could make your own with alittle research here. If you wanted to you could even upgrade to all ballscrews. Something to start concerning yourself with is software. For me the easy part has always been the mechanics is the software and programming that has really killed my buzzes before.

Also if your backlash is repetitively the same you can use software to compensate for it. Both Mach and Emc allow you to compensate for it.

OK, so they have dropped the price to $2400. I would still say that it is overpriced by about $400. If you can buy all the parts (bolt on to build it) for around $1500, surely someone would put it together for you for $500.

I watched the video of facing, turning, threading and radiusing. It looks like the radius is very roughly stepped. I can't really tell whether it is poorly done because of the machine, the program or just poor quality pictures. But if I were going to spend even $2000 for a 7x12 lathe I would want to know that it was spot on.

Here is a picture of the first radius that I turned under cnc on my 9x20. When I polished it, it came out as nice as you could ask for.

Alan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LeverEnd(c).jpg  

Wow this one lathe has come up in a few places now. www.cnccookbook.com

Yes, but I think Bob missed the fact that it doesn't have ballscrews but leadscrews with anti-backlash nuts.

Alan

Wow this one lathe has come up in a few places now. www.cnccookbook.com
    The very same lathe or did someone assemble a run of these? Would be interesting to know for price comparison.