585,573 active members*
3,498 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Graphic Is Ready, Boot Start - then nothing

Graphic Is Ready, Boot Start - then nothing

A little info:
    The machine is a Kitamura Spark changer Mycenter-2Xi
    The controller is a FANUC Series 16i-M

When starting the controller the screen turns on and says "Graphic Is Ready, Boot Start" and hangs. Usually it goes into the normal boot up and the controller screen comes up as expected. If I shut the controller off and back on numerous times it will finally boot. With my regular computer experience I would say there was an issue with the bootloader. Since it DOES work after multiple tries I would then say it is an issue with the memory storing the bootloader.

Am I on the right track?
    If so what is the next step? If not what could possibly be the deal?

Honestly this ship (company) is sinking and I'm on my way out, I'd just like to help bail some water while I can. :rainfro:

Did you tryed to make " memory clean up" procedure? If not, I thing you need to do that procedure( seach for "Fanuc memory clean" for information). But remember that you're need to backup all parameter. PMC, PMC parameter, program.etc.. before doing any thing.

I was thinking of it being something along those lines (clearing the memory) and also expected all parameters would be wiped out too. I can back up the current parameters through the RS232 to using Hyperterminal from what I hear.

Is this also correct?

And thank you Namnp2007 and to all who may future assist me. I've usually just used the search function on these forums but now am posting and all help is much appreciated.

Pls sent me your E-mail address to my e-mail at: [email protected].

Dear Sir;
    I think you face a problem with CPU or motherboard
    if you need any think my mail [email protected]

Re: Graphic Is Ready, Boot Start - then nothing

Just for completeness.

We had the same problem on one of our Fanuc 16i controls, intermittent but getting progressively worse.

Our problem was solved by unmounting and then re-seating the 3 daughter boards on the motherboard, inside the yellow box behind the screen. The screen had been messed about with a while ago to replace the backlight and it had never been screwed back up properly, hence there was a degree of flex about the whole assembly which had presumably loosened one of the connections.

The daughter boards are CNC motion, Graphics and main CPU.

This problem is likely in the control main board: DO NOT DO A 'MEMORY CLEAR' until you have a BOOT sram save done. It is most likely unnecessary to 'MEMORY CLEAR' anyway.
    I have personally repaired these controls at the component level, but intermittents are very difficult.
    Call me at 289 389 6117.

Quote Originally Posted by 218ean View Post
    Just for completeness.

We had the same problem on one of our Fanuc 16i controls, intermittent but getting progressively worse.

Our problem was solved by unmounting and then re-seating the 3 daughter boards on the motherboard, inside the yellow box behind the screen. The screen had been messed about with a while ago to replace the backlight and it had never been screwed back up properly, hence there was a degree of flex about the whole assembly which had presumably loosened one of the connections.

The daughter boards are CNC motion, Graphics and main CPU.
    I also had the same issue (also on a Kitamura 2Xi Sparkchanger), and I can confirm that removing and re-seating the 3 daughter boards as described by 218ean fixed the issue.

The process was:
    1) Open the back cover to access the rear of of the screen area.
    2) Remove the 4 screws holding the yellow plastic box to the chassis.
    3) Remove the fiber optic connector to allow easy removal of the yellow box.
    4) The 3 daughter boards are now visible. I removed and re-inserted them one by one.

Some of the daughter boards had other cards mounted in them (they looked like laptop RAM), and also there were additional little cards mounted behind the daughter boards. I removed and re-seated all of these.

Everything was working properly after re-assembly.

Thanks to 218ean and CNCzone for the tips!

Extreme caution if you do this: first, MAKE SURE ALL DATA IS BACKED UP.
    Removing and re-seating boards/modules can cause problems in itself; it can also appear to get rid of another problem temporarily but not really doing so.

But how would you back anything up if the control won't boot up?

The BOOT section of the maintenance manual will tell you; you'll need a pcmcia sram card for that.

Quote Originally Posted by memoryman View Post
    This problem is likely in the control main board: DO NOT DO A 'MEMORY CLEAR' until you have a BOOT sram save done. It is most likely unnecessary to 'MEMORY CLEAR' anyway.
    I have personally repaired these controls at the component level, but intermittents are very difficult.
    Call me at 289 389 6117.
    I am having the same issue and can not find a cpu board. Do you have any ideas on where I can locate one?

What is the part #?