585,942 active members*
3,345 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Visual Mill > VM 6 - Posting in G41 & G42 on 2 1/2 axis

VM 6 - Posting in G41 & G42 on 2 1/2 axis

How do you get it to post using cutter comp. ??

Steve

I never use cutter comp so I am not perfectly sure but It should be as simple as editing your post processor and turning cutter comp output on.
    That is what I would do, I have extensively edited all my post processors.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Smile Hi Darebee...

I have always used cutter comp on 2 1/2 axis work, mainly because the work I've done required very high tolerences and it is the best way to tune the program. I most often have used the diameter or radius of the tool, varying the number as needed to get the dimn. with the program definded to the print dimn. Maybe I'm just old school.
    I have heard of using a "0" call out as the offset, running the cutter path in its programmed offset path with the g41 or g42 callouts and if the, need arises, use a minus or plus as necessary to correct cut.
    In the the old 2 1/2 axis CAM I have, it has this option so I assume that VM had it but I have not as yet found it.
    Steve

I haven't looked at the MecSoft forum today but I suggest you add a copy of your last post there. MecSoft tech can/will answer that.

I agree that tool offsets are needed for "run from control" production work.

I do 1-offs and find it easier quicker (for me) to bump my stock +/- in VM and resend the MOP.
    With 1-offs I typically run the MOPs as I make them and program the next toolpath while the last is running.

Considering my situation I have never bothered to experiment with cutter comps to train myself in their proper use - sorry but I am ignorant ;-)
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Thanks Darebee...

I did post on the MecSoft also. When I understand it all... I'll write to you the details. You may find it something you will like to use. Even for one off's it can be very time saving.
    Steve

Added: The MecSoft's response was an excellent explaination of how to add and when you would want to use cutter comp.
    Steve