584,805 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > options for bolt-together type kit?

options for bolt-together type kit?

After spending about a billion hours surfing for cnc router kits/plans/etc. without coming up with a definite plan of action, i'm looking to get some suggestions.

Ideally, what I'm looking to find will fit within these constraints:

***2'x4'x3" cutting area while fitting within a 33" room constraint (only one direction, the length can go for quite a bit-it's a large "closet" type room that would house the machine).

***Ideally, i'd like it to be a bolt/snap/screw together assembly. I'm not confident that i could "fabricate" something and be confident in squareness/accuracy.

I really don't care much for what it is made out of, as long as it is reliable. It will only be routing wood.

Some plans that I found:

buildyourcnc.com- The Patrick Hood Daniel kit. I originally latched onto that one for the cutting area and his site made it seem extremely easy to put together. Then I read some bad things about it's accuracy and very slow speeds on this site. That review was of the 1.2 kit, maybe the 1.3 is better????

Lionclaw LC50B Kit-I've found this kit on his site at http://comptonsoft.com/cnc/product_i...f4cb23049d4abe

The design seems like it would be perfect, other than the fact that I can't get a response from him. Maybe you guys on here know more about his kit. There are no pictures on his site, but the brief description makes it seem like you get everything except the top and bottom skins, and some mounts, couplers, etc. that you can get from his online store and bolt on. What do you guys think of this kit? Does it really give you all the parts (excluding skins) so that it could just be put together without actually fabricating?

Then I found the Solsylva plans (looking at the rack and pinion, 2x4 plan). This would mean that I would need to fabricate everything, which I would rather avoid. But the end results look good, and the prices seem right.

For an example, there is this kit that would almost be perfect.- http://www.mckenzieschmidt.com/ the HOBO SR. kit.

the footprint is a little too big, but it does a good job of demonstrating the concept of buying a "kit" that you just bolt together and then add motors, etc.

So, any input or directions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not positive, but I think a few guys on this site sell bolt-together kits. CNC Joe might be worth looking at. I'm sure there are others, but I had to give joe a plug after all help he threw our way when we were doing our build. The DIY router build section in this forum is also something else to check out.

Mike

Here is a CNC that you can buy in kit form or plans , I am building another router now out of metal I had no luck with the mdf in accuracy so I am going to build a metal router with linear bearings and ballscrews.
    http://www.pdjinc.com/
    Also I am getting 5/8" ballscrews from http://www.roton.com/ they have the 5/8" ballscrew at 10 bucks a foot and the single bearing for 23 bucks I ordered one yesterday so I can see how good they are the rep said .006 accuracy per foot but better if I preload the bearings..
    Gary

I don't sell a kit, but I do sell a line of parts that makes it easy to make your own machine out of 8020 aluminum extrusion. If you're not confident in putting things together, this can be a great way to go, since it's all adjustable.

Another option is fireball cnc, although these are mdf machines. They may be about the size you are looking for.

Best regards,

Ahren
    www.cncrouterparts.com

I built a solsylva and I really like it. Yes, it takes some time, but it's a good quality machine, especially for the money. I operate on a very small budget, so it was perfect for me. The HOBO kit looks nice, but I'm a little unsure about the rigidity of the X-axis rails. I tend to over-build things, though. You might be able to get someone in cnc to do some machine work for you in the way of parts for a solsylva or something like that. You would have minimal work to do on your end. Just a thought.
    My Solsylva machine (my first cnc)
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44336

thanks for the suggestions. i'm thinking i'm going to have to fabricate my own, mostly from Solsylva plans to meet my size needs. also because of the fact that i can't hardly get anyone to even reply from the low-mid price machines on the net. Romaxx won't answer the phone or email. DigiRout doesn't answer the phone or messages. Ez-Router is very nice and easy to contact, but i'm still waiting on a quote that was supposed to reach me yesterday. i'm sure that there is better service if you're dealing with companies that deal more expensive machines, but as someone who is just getting into cnc machining, it seems like you have to twist arms to get people to check their messages, let alone sell you anything.

with regard to Ez-Router, the quote i was waiting on is for a custom size, so they may have to do some figuring to come up with a price. obviously, they do advertise their prices right on the site, which most companies seem to avoid. it would be nice if everybody was open on the pricing, it's not like you don't already know the stuff isn't exactly cheap.

You might want to check out the Lumenlab "RoGR" CNC router...
    http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index...1&st=0&start=0

It's still in the planning stage, and the first set of bearings/rails are sold out, but it might be one of the best deals around for a pre-fab kit. Pricing hasn't been released, and plans/parts have changed several times so far, but it's looking like the whole thing will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000 to $2500.

It is being built by 2 people who do a lot of experimenting and right now the machine is still a work in progress, but it looks like the prototype might be finished within a couple weeks (of course, that's what I've been thinking since March).

It's worth a look...