585,996 active members*
4,541 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Best cam for multitasking Okuma B300W

View Poll Results: Which cam for MTM?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just use the ADMAC software that comes with it. Save money, good enough.

2 25.00%
  • Surfcam

2 25.00%
  • Camworks

1 12.50%
  • Esprit

2 25.00%
  • Edgecam

1 12.50%
  • Gibbscam

4 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Best cam for multitasking Okuma B300W

Parts are created in Solidworks. Not everyone seems to support dual spindles and a B axis. I asked Mastercam and they said they don't really support this until the next release.

Popularity matters as it is easier to hire someone trained in a popular program.

Price matters somewhat and includes the post.

We want to be able to use the features of the machine yet don't currently plan any fancy 3D surfacing. We are not making propellers or turbines but wanted this machine so that there is no fixturing or human handling for parts made from round bar.

SolidCam works inside Solidworks. This seems good in that you don't have to leave the program but perhaps bad if you are working on a part that someone sends you in another format or bad if we ever change modelers. It seems to cost about $15K for the mill/turn version for this machine.

Camworks is another inside Solidworks and they are talking $20K.

Esprit says they will support this machine, and said $20 to $25K.

Edgecam said $20K or more.

Featurecam said about $18K

Gibbscam said about $14K.

What about Surfcam?

I don't know if OneMill can support this type of machine. Someone in our industry said a lot of people use Gibbscam, and we should consider that. Since it is at the lower end of the price range and perhaps well liked, that is a plus.

I asked Mastercam and they said they don't really support this until the next release.
    Well people been hearing that for years. However it will do the job now, just no machine simulation and if it is a dual turret(sorry you did not say and I was going looking) then it gets to be a real pain. Mike Stevenson talks about his 15 minutes to 40 hours verses Mastercam so PM him and get UG NX6 Express for he says it is priced right in there with everyone else now. (Though I think over $30k is where you will really be time posts and all that are factored into the price with any of them)

Partmaker, Espirt, or anything that can simulate your machine that is built into it would be my choices I program our E series Integrex with Mastercam and our Okuma Lb-!5 with dual turret using Mastercam, but the operators are my Vericut.

Good luck but anything built into Solidworks would be milling that I know as far as Mill/Turns I would go with someone who knows what they are doing.

Our machine dealer sells Surfcam, Mastercam, and GibbsCam. Does one of those stand out as the price/performance and reliability sweet spot with a MTM?

MTM Software

I have been using GibbsCam for years. They have great machine simulation and a great posts for multiple machines.

I have heard the MasterCam story for years. I have heard about the many stories on "wait until the next release" from my friends that use it.

Your money-your call.

Official Response From SolidCAM USA Application Engineer

Hello Gentlemen,

SolidCAM can full support this machine configuration so long as syncronized dual-spindle movement is not required. From the demo videos and pdf's available from the official Okuma website, it does not appear that this machine allows the movement of both spindles at the same time. As long as this is the case, SolidCAM can support the Okuma B300.

3dman is correct when he states that we run inside of SolidWorks. SolidCAM is an integrated solution and we also run inside of Autodesk Inventor. This is advantageous when all modeling is done in SolidWorks and remains advantageous even if models are originating from a different CAD system. If an imported model has to be used, there are few if any CAD systems that can handle the process better than SolidWorks. Once SolidWorks is used to import the model, SolidCAM can be used to build the toolpath. If a stand-alone CAM package allows for the import of models, it rarely executes the process as cleanly as SolidWorks.

If a SolidCAM user decides to switch to a different modeling software, SolidWorks or Inventor will still be required in order to run SolidCAM. We have a bundle agreement with SolidWorks that allows us to sell a seat of SolidWorks Office Professional along with the appropriate SolidCAM module at a competitive price compared to that of a stand-alone CAM package. Perhaps one would have more modeling power than needed in this situation but it wouldn't really come at any extra cost. All CAM packages require CAD functionality - our integration into SolidWorks simply allows for better CAD functionality.

For the The Okuma B300W I would provide a rough quote as follows:

SolidWorks + SolidCAM : $14,000
    Post Processor + Machine Simulation : $3,000
    Training : $5,000

Total: $22,000

For more specific information regarding sales (such as an exact quote) please contact [email protected].

For more specific information regarding functionality (such as supported machine types) please contact me at [email protected].

Hope my response has helped,

Zac Prater
    SolidCAM USA
    Application Engineer
    [email protected]