585,930 active members*
3,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Larger version of Solsylva Overhead Leadscrew CNC Router?

Larger version of Solsylva Overhead Leadscrew CNC Router?

Did anyone build a larger version of Solsylva Overhead Leadscrew CNC Router?

I can't help with the overhead part as I built a dual leadscrew machine. Is this your first machine? What is your question?
    My Solsylva machine (my first cnc)
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44336

I don't recall seeing one built from those plans at all, but I haven't searched for it. The Solsylva designs are generally laid out so that adding length to the affected parts should be a relative minor problem. I recommend doing some research on whether the overhead lead screw arrangement tends to induce more tendency to bind the x axis though.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

The overhead leadscrew CNC router was the first machine that I built. Its working area is 20 inches by 17 inches. I want to make a larger machine with working area of 36 inches by 24 inches but I want to use the parts from my machine instead of making a brand new machine, especially the Y-Axis/Z-Axis carriage that I built out of aluminum. I will have to build a new larger frame and gantry. I'm not sure if I want overhead leadscrew or leadscrew under the base/table for X-Axis. Putting the leadscrew under the base/table would make it easier for me to put large pieces of wood or plywood on the table. Would 200 oz/in stepper motors that I already have be powerful enough for the larger machine?

They probably will be powerful enough but you could use smaller diameters cutters and less cutting depth if they are marginal. The larger dimensions wouldn't add a lot of weight to the the moving parts. Chances are good that the only axis that might be affected at all is the x axis if it has to move more weight. I would use them and see what happens before ordering new steppers.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

I think a lot depends on the drivers and lead screws, if your using something like gecko drive's you'd get more performance and even better if you use multiple start screws. graham