585,758 active members*
4,280 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > CNC Brain is ready! 6-axis Double Closed Loop Controller
Page 12 of 32 2101112131422
    CNC Brain Beta tester here...

I have a 5'x10' CNC router (with steppers) that I salvaged and rebuilt this year. I am slowly integrating the Brain into the existing system. Not permanent yet as, this is beta and I have to keep the existing system running too. But I'm doing it in a way to minimize interference with my existing setup so that it will basically just be a swap of cables and I will be able to switch between 2 controllers. This isn't my day job and these things take a little time when all I have is evenings and weekends and a family. My initial run with the Brain was very exciting and so I started ordering encoders, sensors and things of the sort. It takes time to order parts, wait for them to arrive and then install them. Much of my testing has been on the kitchen table running Code through the Brain. Its such a nice little package that I can unhook cables and throw it in my laptop bag and bring it home with me and still play with it. I have to say that I have been in frequent communication with Bruce, email and phone. He responds to emails quickly and his support so far has been superb. It's symbiotic, beta tester and developer and so far this has been a great experience for me. I know everyone is eager to hear the field reports and I will give more details as I get set up and running.

Cheers,

Dan

We also need a tab that will help insert these files/audio into the G-Code. That way you can step through the program (or run/stop), few clicks of the mouse, record some audio, type some text or insert a pic or video. When done, save it.

I was thinking the same thing, need to help the end user automate inserting the code to activate the correct video/frame into the g-code.

I added the video to the "Run Tab" I'm just lazy , might be better to add a complete new Tab, that way more real estate for viewing the video, & another "Step" button hooked into the "Step" button on the "Run Tab"?

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Careful there. With Mach3, M1 is optional stop. Best to make up an unused M code for this and other special functions.

That's cool, the M-code could be anything, again this is a (REALLY) rough test.

Actually to keep it simple it wouldn't have to be an M-code, it could be something like:

(Insert Video SomeFileName.wmv 03:19)

If it's a comment, should be safe to run, with any control?

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Dan,

Can't wait to see how things work out for you.

Please keep us posted.

Free DXF - vectorink.com

I may have missed this, but are there any plans to integrate a nice toolpath display? I combed over the website and only see screenshots showing the Gcode text commands.

P.S. If the Vision system stuff is even half true...I'll trade my first born for a CNCbrain!!

from post #81

And not a bad idea. Been thinking where to put a "draw window". Could use the config to turn off some tabs. Great Idea!

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Quote Originally Posted by CNCAddict View Post
    I may have missed this, but are there any plans to integrate a nice toolpath display? I combed over the website and only see screenshots showing the Gcode text commands.

P.S. If the Vision system stuff is even half true...I'll trade my first born for a CNCbrain!!
    Addict, I can't give you proof that you would accept, (my word), but the vision stuff is true. Is your first born a boy or girl? At one time Bruce had quite a bit more info about himself on the site but thought it detracted from what he is trying to do with the Brain at the moment and decided to take that info down. I will give you a hint.

Do you remember the unmanned vehicle races in the desert of California that had to navigate themselves across the desert without remote control?

Let me just say that Bruce has nearly as much experience with "vision" as he does with processing.

Now what is that firstborn's name?

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

**Switcher, Ger21,

Yes, "comment tag". Excellent idea! And the video should be on the "Run" tab where you put it Switcher. Another tab to help insert (record annotations, browse, etc).

What would be useful is to use the area you've used on the "Run" tab to show video/pictures. If the uses needs it expanded, one click it enlarges, another click is shrinks back down.

I'm amazed! I walked around when I first saw the post just shaking my head, muttering.

**Dan,
    You're a very sharp guy ... and can humble someone fast! You've found so many bugs and had so many great ideas!

For everyone's note, the Parallel Axis (two axis to act as one G105), is his most excellent idea.

**CNCAddict,
    First born not necessary

Been involved in several vision systems. On the PC, handwriting recognition (so have a ton of tools just sitting around for finding shapes, patterns, math). On the more extreme end, binocular image processing for robotic navigation (the bulk of this is in hardware).

Taking the PC based stuff first since it is easier to "adapt". The algorithm works opposite as most might think. Typically, you tell a system to find a line like "this". In these libraries, it finds a pattern and creates and equation of the shape for you to compare.

This lets it take an image and resolve it to a set of contrast lines at the boundaries (summarized as equations ... tiny bit of data). We then just rotate/scale the equations to see if it is a match.

To limit the number of patterns (which is the real difficulty), the interface will be asked to find an "object" you defined. Over time, we'll see how far we can push it.

**Turmite,
    Let's see. The picture Jog buttons are your idea, which I really like. Could never remember which button moved where. Some of the order of the tabs for work flow.

And a dozen other things. You're a sharp guy ... and practical to a fault!

**All,
    Thank you! This little CNC Brain has become something larger than we could have created on our own. It is really your CNC Brain!

You've solved so many problems. It is simply amazing! We hope to do your talents justice.

Can't wait to see where this goes!

s/Bruce

Im reading every post with great interest while I patiently wait for the threading enabled software release

Keep up the good work and thanks for the frequent updates!

Pablo

So there will not be a toolpath display?

What's the status of a mach3 plugin?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

**CNCAddict,
    Yes, working on a toolpath display. OpenGL based. Start off with lines, work our way to full 3D (tons of 3D code sitting about ... just going down the priority list).

**Peu,
    Just trying to nail down some pesky bugs before releasing V1.0.7. Its always the little things that eat up the time.

**Ger21,
    Plugin update: Spoke with Brian and Art (fantastic guys) who are providing amazing support. Scott (PoppaBear from the Mach forums) has been directly involved in the plugin.

We had to make the SDK backward compatible with the Visual Studio 2003 that Mach is developed under. That seems to be cleared up.

It shouldn't be long

**Side note since the name came up,
    Got a change to visit with Scott S. (PoppaBear for those that know him). He just released a 6-axis jog for Mach that is sweet (pushing it to the edge as always).

Also had a chance to see some of the work he has done, including a new automatic tool changer. He builds some nice custom machines.

**Analog -/+ 10V interface update,
    We decided to make another revision of the analog interface board before releasing (know everone is anxious, just want it right). The old board didn't produce the desired waveform (being picky).

The new board updates at 14MHz with a 16bit resolution that, while perhaps is overkill, is a LOT smoother. Always better to over-engineer than under.

We're trying to get these out to the first testers ASAP.

14mhz update rate

Bruce,
    You typed,The new board updates at 14MHz with a 16bit resolution.

Is this for 1 axis? Which if my math is right... which it usually isn't,would equate to 14mhz/4000(1000line encoder)= 3500rpm. Is that correct?

I am very interested in the analog board. I have a Bridgeport that is begging me for a new "brain"!

All right maybe it's my brain that needs replacing.

Thank you for developing what is shaping up to be an incredible product aimed at helping the little guy.

Cutmore

**Cutmore,
    Sorry for the confusion!

14MHz is the update rate of the DAC used in the analog interface boards only.

The CNC Brain currently outputs step/dir. For the Analog Board, it outputs a digital number that is converted into an analog voltage (by the board). The output is used to drive certain types of servo systems that take a -10/+10V for power amplification.

To create a very smooth high-speed waveform, the digital data is converted to analog 14 million times a second.

**This isn't to be confused with the encoder speed.

Depending on the depth of filtering, generally the CNC Brain can handle, at 4000 clicks per turn, around 187,500 RPM for each motor.

Most encoders tend to top out well before reaching the input limits of the CNC Brain.

Again, sorry for any confusion!

s/Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by cut more View Post
    Bruce,
    You typed,The new board updates at 14MHz with a 16bit resolution.

Is this for 1 axis? Which if my math is right... which it usually isn't,would equate to 14mhz/4000(1000line encoder)= 3500rpm. Is that correct?

I am very interested in the analog board. I have a Bridgeport that is begging me for a new "brain"!

All right maybe it's my brain that needs replacing.

Thank you for developing what is shaping up to be an incredible product aimed at helping the little guy.

Cutmore

Smile Analog -/+ 10V interface availiblity

Bruce,

when is the complete CNC Brain with the analog -/+ 10V interface going to be ready for beta?

We would like to start testing.

Jeff...

Bruce,
    Thanks for the clarification.

"generally the CNC Brain can handle, at 4000 clicks per turn, around 187,500 RPM for each motor"
    So you could spool your motors up to turbine speed!

If I buy a cnc brain now, will I be able to add the dac converter when that comes out?

Thank you,
    Cutmore

**Cutmore,
    If you have a machine running that fast, send me a video!

Yes, the CNC Brain can add the analog interface anytime you need (when available). The idea is to be flexible (use whatever you have/find ... ebay doesn't have fixed a catalog )

The analog board has built-in optoisolation from the Brain and uses 4 pins to interface.

2 pins are shared across all analog boards. These are the Data Clock and the Load. The Brain syncs with the all the analog boards using the same clock and load signal.

The remaining 2 pins are from the axis itself. The step(doubles as the digital analog data out) and the direction.

The Direction pin is passed through for those needing a dedicated direction signal (optoisolated with a +5V out).

**jalessi,
    It is in process. Can't give a fixed date just yet as they are in process of being sent to the first testers.

How about "soon"? I'll keep you updated.

User Manual/Installation

What is the status of the user manual? I have been following the thread everyday for last couple weeks. I am starting to up everything together for a new machine I am building.

Thanks

From SolidWorks to G-Code

What does everyone recommend to convert SolidWorks files to G-Code for the Brain?

Budget minded recommendations are best... free or open source is even better.

For Shoptask and NEMA 34 steppers, what should I buy regarding holding torque specs?

TSM

I am a little confused on the requirement of the Brain. I am in the process of putting together to build a machine. All the motors, rails, switches and miscellaneouse are ordered.

Do I have to get the Breakout Board for Brain? Which setup is correct "PC>Brain>Gecko>Servo" or "PC>Brain>BOB>Gecko>Servo?

I am still waiting to see the manual soon, may be a wire diagram would help many people here.

Page 12 of 32 2101112131422