585,760 active members*
3,628 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Ordered a new NL2500SY/700....

Should be here in two weeks.
    I'm pretty excited. Its my first Mori. We have 4 other Mazaks here, and I think it was time for an upgrade.

Oh, and this is my first post. Yay for me.

Any special things or tips I should know?

I have a Nl-2500Sy/700 and a NL-3000Y/1250. They are BAD @#$!!!!! I would say that you should use as many quad holders as possible for the OD. The Yaxis shift from tool to tool is so quick and you don't have to tool change. Capps is pretty powerful and the graphics are great. Just let me know what you need and I will try to help out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mori turret 1.jpg   mori turret2.jpg  

Nice pics! New machines are so awesome! How much $$ do those quad holders go for?

I think about $800.00. It' s a WTO holder. I use MD Tools also. My live tooling is standard Mori. WTO and MD Tools were quite a bit more. Capto holders are ridiculous on the price. There are some others that I have looked at but I just bought comventional Mori ER-40's to start. What Mori dealer did you buy it from?

James

We ordered through Boldt Machinery.

So I was thinking that I might as well get one of those quad holders. I need multiple OD turning stations, and I might as well leave the other stations open for live tools or whatever if at all possible.

Is there any advantage of buying the MD over the regular Mori tool holders?

Mori doesn't make a quad holder. They only have a dual. I prefer the WTO quad vs. the MD but I am sure it is the same thing. When you get your holder, check the center lines of the tools after you make the y offset in the tool geometry page. Have you used a Y axis before?

Quote Originally Posted by WOLOG View Post
    Mori doesn't make a quad holder. They only have a dual. I prefer the WTO quad vs. the MD but I am sure it is the same thing. When you get your holder, check the center lines of the tools after you make the y offset in the tool geometry page. Have you used a Y axis before?
    I'm confused here, there just doesn't look like there's enough clearance between the tools in the quad holder to do larger diameter parts......so a y axis shift (up and down)? to switch tools??? Man, a guy could really load up a turret with those holders....

No, this will be my first Mori, and my first Y-axis machine.

Let me know if you need some help.

Will be be using Capps or offline programming?

Make sure the Mori install guy switches the parameter to allow the Y axis shift for turning! My two machines did not come from the factory with them set. I will tell you a little more on the holders later.

I will be using the CAPPS.
    In the future, our company would like to look into getting some kind of offline programming software, but as of right now, that is not happening.

Thanks for the tip on the Y-axis shift...I'm sure that will save me hours of headache.

Do you have collet nose or do you just use the chucks?

I was planning on using an ATS S-30 that uses collet pads, and maybe an
    S-26 for the sub spindle. Both are low profile, accu-length.
    The nice thing about the S-30 on the main is it will allow a 3" bar capacity.
    We run quite a bit of hex material, so the pads will be alot faster change over than a 3 jaw chuck.

Chucks right now. I can't decide what I really want.

When you get the machine, I will help you with the Capps stuff. Some of it is vague. And watch out! A Capps program will erase the Gcode program after it is reposted. You are going to have to insert your Y axis shifts in your programs after it is posted from Capps. I 'll help as much as I can

Why not just use only CAPPS? I prefer conversational anyways, so if I write a program in conversational, I can just keep it that way correct? If I have to modify it I can just bring up that unit? (bar out or whatever)

Pardon my lack of knowledge but what do you mean "after it is posted from CAPPS"

I am new to some of these terms.

The part is drawn and machined in CAPPS. After the program is finished, a 'G-CODE" program is posted. The Y axis shifts are not included in the G code. The machine produces a capps program and a g code program at the same time. If you edit the capps program and post it, it will rewrite the mods you made to the G code. I copy the the Capps program, make the changes and them copy and paste to the edited program. Your tool files are also critical to getting good parts. The machine will automatically bore out drill points and avoid undercuts and such. The machine knows the difference between a CNMG and a VNMG. That took some getting used to but it works great.

I use 4 different offsets on the quad block. T0202=CNMG-432(main), T0222=VNMG-332(main), T0223= VNMG-332(sub) and T0224= CNMG-432(sub)
    The main spindle tools stick out about .125-.250" more than the sub for clearance. Once you put the Y axis shift in the tool geometry page, you will call a tool .... T0202 Y0 and the Y axis will shift up or down. I have a whole procedure for that so let me know when you are ready. Capps post a G28 V0(y axis home) at the beginning of each block.

ok gotcha.....hmmm sounds tricky though. I'm sure I will pick it up once the machine is here though.

Chucks right now. I can't decide what I really want.

When you get the machine, I will help you with the Capps stuff. Some of it is vague. And watch out! A Capps program will erase the Gcode program after it is reposted. You are going to have to insert your Y axis shifts in your programs after it is posted from Capps. I 'll help as much as I can
    You can put that Y axis shift value in your geometry offset page and then CAPS can be set to output a "Y0" when the tool positions. Let me know if you need the CAPS parameter for the Y0 output.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshoppa View Post
    I will be using the CAPPS.
    In the future, our company would like to look into getting some kind of offline programming software, but as of right now, that is not happening.

Just FYI, you can purchase a pc version of CAPS to do your programming offline. Call Boldt and ask for a quote on Mori AP-L, just don't expect good luck installing it on a Vista computer.

Quote Originally Posted by NL2000 View Post
    You can put that Y axis shift value in your geometry offset page and then CAPS can be set to output a "Y0" when the tool positions. Let me know if you need the CAPS parameter for the Y0 output.
    The guy that was training me changed a parameter to allow the Y axis to be used in turning...so I was able to touch off my tools and get them on the correct center lines.

But I pgrm chckd a part and ran all the way through it, and everything is fine,
    except that the Y axis does NOT shift to the offset that I put in the geometry page.

I would be roughing with 1010 and finishing with 1050 which is the upper tool in the quad holder.

It just stays on what would be the normal ZERO postition for Y. When I look at my machine postion it reads that Y -.4724 or the other one which is around 1.7731 or something, depending on which tool it called up. It does not shift though.

Is there another parameter that can be changed in CAPS so that I dont have to go in the G-code and do all that extra editing?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NL2000 View Post
    Just FYI, you can purchase a pc version of CAPS to do your programming offline. Call Boldt and ask for a quote on Mori AP-L, just don't expect good luck installing it on a Vista computer.

Ya I thought about buying that software sometime.

Its cool though, I don't run Vista...just XP

Grasshoppa,

Did the code say G00 T1010 Y0 and T1050 Y0? If the parameter was changed and the Y offsets were set, then the Y0 should have worked. The only thing that you have to remember is not to G00 G53 X0 and try to shift to the upper tool(T1050). Stay at X-2. or so. The Y axis will not shift to the upper tool at X0(home).

Page 1 of 2 12