585,763 active members*
4,374 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hi Cell 23 Seicos L Multi Controller

We have recently got a used Hi Cell 23 with a Seicos L multi controller but i am not certain if its a LI, LII, or LIII but i think it is the LIII (It says Seicos L Multi on the controller). It does have multi where we can program right on the controller. I have outputted G-Code from the controller to a computer using MasterCAM 9 with the communicate button through a RS232C cable with these settings:

Baud: 9600
    Stop Bit: 2
    Bit Length: 7
    Parity Check: Odd
    Com Port: 4
    Handshaking: Software
    EOL Delay: 0.0

We have set the communication in Master CAM to have the same baud rate, stop bit, bit length and parity check as it shows on the Seicos controller when we hit input/output. Now this is a used machine so we just left all the settings on the controller the same as we got it (which is the same as above) for both the input and output on the controller. The problem we are having is when we try to send the program back from the computer to the controller it gives us a "Parity Error" We have tried changing the parity to Odd, Even and None but it still does not work. Does the INPUT settings have to be different from the OUTPUT settings? The only other thing I could think of is when we output the program from the controller to the computer it puts a "square" or "box" right BEFORE the % sign at the start of the program which I believe is an unrecognized character that windows cannot read. It also puts another "square" or "box" at the end of the program AFTER the % sign. I have tried to delete these and send it back to the controller but it still does not work. Do I need a special character there that I do not know about before and after the % sign? I would also like to ask if anyone knows how to change the delay rate on the controller for when we want to input programs into it. Right now it only waits about 5 seconds before it times out and we must have 2 people (one at the computer and the other at the controller) for us to do it quick enough. Im guessing its a parameter setting?

Thank You in advance

Try turning down your baudrate to 4800. Also use Even parity. check your transmit settings on the PC and see if you can select "remove control characters". I am not sure about changing the delay time on the control. But you should have an option on your PC for Transmit Trigger. Select Xon. Then get your PC ready to send the program. Your PC will wait for a control character from the CNC before transmitting. You then can go to the control and command the control to start receiving.

Stevo

I have tried all those settings even down to 2400 baud rate and even, odd and None for parity both on the controller and on the computer. Are the characters suppose to be on ASCII format? Does anyone know a software that is able to communicate with a Seicos L Multi controller?

Hmmm. This might be a problem for Dan Fritz. I am not firmiliar with that control. I have never used the ASCII format for programs. I don't believe that is your problem. I would have assumed that it would work considering that you are using the setting that the control was using before. This tells me that something is going on at the PC side.

Stupid question but when you are trying different settings in the PC you are changing the CNC to match?? They must match. You could also have the wrong pin out on your cable. I have attached the pin out that I have used on other Seicos and Fanuc controls that works.

I use Dostek DNC I have never had a problem and I like working with them. Very reasonable price and user friendly software. Not to mention they are up by you.

Dostek Incorporated
    238 Westheights Drive
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Canada N2N 1j9
    Tel (519) 742-5721
    Fax (519) 741-8669
    www.dostek.com

Ask for Doug Struthers.

Stevo
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes I do make the CNC and the computer match these settings. Thank you for the contact and the diagram. Also I will have a look at the Dostek software and mention something to my boss about it. What format does a controller usually take ASCII, EIA or BIN? Sorry if these are stupid questions I am fairly new to the industry and this isnt really my area. I have only watched the "experts" try to communicate from a PC to CNC

The format is typically ISO with Even parity.

I have not had much time to dig into it, but another thing to try is adjusting your FIFO buffers on your PC. In control panel-system-hardware-devices-communication port your using-port settings-advanced. I believe that it should be tried to adjust the receive buffer down or even disable the buffers. I think this is only helps with overflow or overrun problems. Can't remember off the top of my head. I will do some more error checking tomorrow.

Stevo