585,971 active members*
4,250 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Door interlock bypass?

So, I have a 2007 Mori Dura Vertical 5100. It's an awesome machine, but the one thing that sucks about it is all the "safety" features that are built into it. Nobody other than myself is ever going to run the thing, so I really don't want to have to close the door every time I need to hit the start button, orient the spindle, home the machine out, do a tool change etc. Setups are becoming a pain in the rear.
    And that is one heavy door...

I tried getting the info from the distributor, but they won't give it out for "insurance and common sense reasons". From what I gather, it's just a couple parameters that need to be changed. Can anyone help me out?

Good luck,

I have 2 NL's. There is no way to bypass the door lock. It is tied into the control 100 different ways. The dealer will never tell you how to disable it.

would you post some pics of the machine? I don't know if I want a Dura or a NV-5000.

Quote Originally Posted by gearsoup View Post
    So, I have a 2007 Mori Dura Vertical 5100. It's an awesome machine, but the one thing that sucks about it is all the "safety" features that are built into it. Nobody other than myself is ever going to run the thing, so I really don't want to have to close the door every time I need to hit the start button, orient the spindle, home the machine out, do a tool change etc. Setups are becoming a pain in the rear.
    And that is one heavy door...

I tried getting the info from the distributor, but they won't give it out for "insurance and common sense reasons". From what I gather, it's just a couple parameters that need to be changed. Can anyone help me out?
    You shouldn't need to close the door to do any of the things you mention. The only thing you can't do with the door open is run in full auto mode, you must be in single block.

As far as doing a zero return or orienting the spindle with the door open you just need to make sure the door interlock key is in the release position.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLOG View Post
    Good luck,

I have 2 NL's. There is no way to bypass the door lock. It is tied into the control 100 different ways. The dealer will never tell you how to disable it.

would you post some pics of the machine? I don't know if I want a Dura or a NV-5000.
    Buy the NV. The Dura series has a 0i control that is fully loaded, but it cannot be upgraded with any options in the future.

The 18i on the NV is full of options you can add in the future if need be.

Isn't the new Dura's coming with MAPPS III now? I know when the Dura was first launched, it had a Fanuc control on it. I am looking hard at a NMV-5000.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLOG View Post
    Isn't the new Dura's coming with MAPPS III now? I know when the Dura was first launched, it had a Fanuc control on it. I am looking hard at a NMV-5000.
    Mori's MSX-504 III control is a Fanuc 0i with MAPPS III software.

I haven't had my hands on a NMV yet but the three axis NV series is a great machine.

I've used the NMV5000 and 8000 quite a bit. The 31iA5 control is pretty nice especially with the MAPPS III interface on it. Gotta be careful if you use TCP, though... none of their machines are specifically tuned for true 5 axis work out of the factory and need to be tweaked (centerline locations, parameters and servo tuning need to be performed).

The duras are great if you want a powerful bare bones machine with minimal available options. The 0i control offers a lot of functions that are "optional" on the 16/18/31 for example, Inch Per Rev and Inverse Time programming are standard. If you want to put a 4 axis table on a Dura, that's cool too... but don't try to put a table on table 5 axis... it won't work.