586,011 active members*
4,714 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tormach Machines Wishlist

OK...This is just my $0.02 for future products that I would like to see from Tormach...

We have had the PCNC 1100 with us for about 3yrs now, recently we have had the Duality Lathe introduced, we now have the PCNC 1100 Series II, the Tormach CNC Standalone Lathe is under development...so...thinking aloud here...I personally would love to have a full stable of Tormach PCNC machines & accessories (both w/factory support & blessing, as well as from dedicated aftermarket vendors):

NEW ACCESSORIES for Tormach PCNC 1100 Series II:

*Ram-type EDM attachment for the PCNC 1100 ala Chevalier ALIC 1

*ATC for the PCNC 1100; carousel type

*3" Riser-block for the column: ground cast-iron with matching holes for existing locating pins w/extended bolts

*Spindle-speeder for smaller diameter tooling - .125" and smaller (I am aware of the Proxxon add-on) something along the lines of the CTL Centreline SPR 410 R8 speeder

*5-Axis Trunnion ala Haas Add-On Trunnion

*Add-on enclosure for Tormach Stand

NEW MACHINES:

*Tormach Surface Grinder...8x10 range; not sure of the absolute necessity of hydrostatic ways, could be an adaptation of the existing PCNC 1100 (X,Y axis) platform

*Tormach Horizontal Mill; essentially a new column/head assembly on existing PCNC 1100 platform (with proper planning & design...aka compromise...I think a modified Surface Grinder column could work for this)

*Tormach 2-Axis Wire EDM; essentially a new column/head assembly on existing PCNC 1100 platform

I invite all existing Tormach owners as well as those who are currently lusting after a PCNC 1100 to comment and add to the wishlist as they see fit...

I'm not a Tormach owner- I've got an old shoptask Quadra lift machine which I bought used. Not much invested, but I have been making 3-400.00 a week just doing odd jobs for different people. But even I can see a slowdown in the work. Guys who were building custom cars have cut back on the spending quite a bit. Your wish list of stuff would cost Tormach at least 1/2 million in development costs before they sold a single unit, so I would put a strong economy on the top of that list before anything else .

a longer x travel, say 24-26" (40-42" table) and the ability to do rigid tapping would be the only things i would want. i don't know enough about this stuff to have any idea if either would even be possible at a reasonable price.

actually now that i think about it, the column riser block would have come in handy yesterday when i had to tap some holes on a 4" diameter part that was in the 4th axis. i couldn't fit the tapping head so i had to use a spring loaded tap guide and manual tap the holes.

Here's mine:

-More options for those who don't mind to pay:

Oup sorry.. posted too fast

-More options for thoses who don't mind to pay:
    *servo motors
    *10000 RPM and more

-A better, more precise home referencing, so I cant set my work offsets, close the machine, and still have my work offsets precise so I don't have to set them again.

-Better coolant tank. With all the leaking problems we've heard.

-More TTS tooling, long reach holders, shrink fit holders, ...

-ATC for at last 12 tools (look's like it's coming...)

More Speed

For those wishing for more speed, just a reminder that the old Bridgeport Quillmaster fits perfectly onto the Tormach.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tormach quill.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie V View Post
    For those wishing for more speed, just a reminder that the old Bridgeport Quillmaster fits perfectly onto the Tormach.

now there is something i never knew existed but don't think i can live without. i hate ebay but i think i am going to look for one.

One of the issues with the QuillMaster is the specialty collets that are needed, the limited tooling diameters you can use & of course, last but not least, the speed is still not where it needs to be on smaller cutters. I believe it is limited to 8k rpm or so. I may be mistaken, but I highly doubt the bearings in one of those vintage accessories are rated for higher speeds & loads. Not trying to piss on anyone's leg. Just something to think about.

Now 300Sniper had a very valid point...how about a traditional Bridgeport size milling table? With an extended length saddle to support cantilevered loads. And box ways instead of dovetail ways. Sort of a "bigger brother" to the PCNC 1100. Let's call it the PCNC 1500? And fixed supports for the ends of all 3 ballscrews. No more whipping & enhanced rapids.

C'mon...

Quote Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
    now there is something i never knew existed but don't think i can live without. i hate ebay but i think i am going to look for one.
    i am with you!! its like the first time i saw boobs.
    RACECAR,SPELLED BACKWARDS,IS RACECAR

Or make your own:

http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalo...Increaser.html

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Phil,

Have you made one of those? If so, any input on it?

David

Afraid not David, but I did get some feedback in post 7 of this thread:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65591

Seems the concept is good but the Hemmingway implementation is not so good. So it looks like design your own, which doesn't look too difficult.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    Phil,

Have you made one of those? If so, any input on it?

David

Spindle Speed Increaser

Here's another one that I've been lookin at. Kinda pricey..... but I can still look. There seem to be a few of them out there. Doesn't look like it would be too tough of a project. Might make a nice accessory from Tormach some day.

http://www.emachinetool.com/accessor...onFamilyID=208

The high price suggests a need for high precision, at least for 20,000 rpm.

Phil

Here's another one that I've been lookin at. Kinda pricey..... but I can still look. There seem to be a few of them out there. Doesn't look like it would be too tough of a project. Might make a nice accessory from Tormach some day.

http://www.emachinetool.com/accessor...onFamilyID=208

Talking A bit more X would be nice

I just purchased a used Tormach, got a great deal and like it. It does appear that more X axis would be a nice option to have. 18 inches is good, but 30 is better :-)

After using it for a little while, a mount for a high speed router would be good. I guess I could build one... but they have the Proxxon high speed option, which is great for engraving and such, but for putting something bigger.. I like the router. Pro's and Con's

Would be nice to have a Coolant level indicator on the spindle.. wouldn't be difficult to rig one.

Built in Laser centering light.. OK.. stop wishing and I'll get back to cutting chips.

After using it for a little while, a mount for a high speed router would be good. I guess I could build one...
    Tormach sells a generic spindle arm/mount for $50 that can probably be modified to accept most routers.

http://www.tormach.com/document_libr...pindle_Arm.pdf

Mike

Can anyone tell me why dovetail ways were chosen over box ways? I fail to see how cutting dovetails and/or grinding the surfaces is cheaper/easier than milling and grinding the flats on box ways. Not to mention a lack of gibs to wear out or need replacing. Turcite cannot be inexpensive to implement considering the manual labor involved...one more argument for box ways...several manufacturers of commercial/industrial machines use box ways w/Turcite.

Also why is the saddle on every dovetail machine so ridiculously small? Has no one ever cut a workpiece as a cantilevered load? Making the saddle at least 3/4 the overall length of the table (ie, the length of actual travel) makes an enormous difference in the amount of deflection from end to end...instead of the table sagging .001-.003" fully extended, it is reduced to .0002-.001".

These are not *****es per se...just reasonable questions in light of the amount of R&D that went into the Tormach design. I'm not understanding the compromises that were made that resulted in the PCNC 1100 being less of a machine than it could have been. And it is a damn fine machine, considering the niche it fills.